Hiking philosophy

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking philosophy

Post by ironmike »

Group mentality in any endeavor has a high probability of trumping solo behavior (regardless of nationality), in my opinion. My experience validates both of Paul’s points, which have nothing to do with Spain in my opinion. They are statements of human interaction. When in a group, I want to go as far as the majority wishes. Generally that is somewhat more than I’d do on my own, but not always.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I think that for both cases, it depends on the people. A couple of examples: I might go faster if I were walking with someone (or some group) highly motivated whose pace tended to be just a bit faster than mine. The same mihght be said of going farther with a person or group motivated to keep going a bit longer than I might. And of course the inverse of both situations could apply. So, it is very dependent on the particular people involved.
But I would agree with WD that group motivation can have a strong effect in the case a a truly long endeavor, primarily in averaging out each individual's waxing and waning motivation levels. I would see that as the primary basis for the idea "to go far, go with a group".
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Assuming the topic is limited to trail hiking with perhaps an occasional XC section here or there: I think I am the antithesis of these sayings. My solo trips are not about big daily miles, getting to camp early. Soloing for me is about absorbing the details, chatting with passersby, savoring the moment. I'll allocate 8-10 days to do a 50 mile section hike, something most people prefer to allocate only 5-7 days, due to free time constraints. Conversely I found it impossible to get more than four people interested in long mile hikes, as folks nowadays are inclined to prefer having as many zero days as trail days on their outings, and seem disinclined to shouldering a pack for a week or more.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Ed, I think you're definitely in the minority when it comes to those through--hikers. I think most of them would consider 50 miles a 2-3 day trip.

I tend to favor your approach, but I ain't no hard-care through--hiker!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Blastomatic
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Blastomatic »

balzaccom wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:24 am Ed, I think you're definitely in the minority when it comes to those through--hikers. I think most of them would consider 50 miles a 2-3 day trip.

I tend to favor your approach, but I ain't no hard-care through--hiker!
Thoughts on this thread:

So much of my work and home life depends on group decisions and compromise, it's a relief to just DO and GO.
I prefer to hike alone because I can stop when I want and go when I want, beholden only to my own caprices.
Being alone on a mountaintop with the wind whistling by is the only way I can hear my parents' voices these days.

Whatever you do, I hope you HYOH.
The race is long, and in the end its only with yourself - and whatever demons or angels you choose to bring along.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Blastomatic wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:34 am The race is long, and in the end its only with yourself - and whatever demons or angels you choose to bring along.
..There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go, no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone.
- Lyrics from Ripple, by Robert Hunter of the Grateful Dead.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.