Crabtree Pass - Specific Q's - First Trip for Teen

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SkyPilotSky
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Crabtree Pass - Specific Q's - First Trip for Teen

Post by SkyPilotSky »

Hello! I am new here, but many years ago I was an avid off-trail hiker and backcountry skier in SEKI. I am now the mom of teen boys. Planning our first real Sierra outing -- New Army - Crabtree Pass - Wallace & Wright - Forester - Center Basin - Onion Valley. The idea is to stay off the JMT as much as possible. I could do this in either direction - in fact, am currently leaning toward Southbound.

I chose this route b/c the snow doesn't quite as bad S of Whitney right now as it is further N. I'm 100% comfortable in the backcountry, route-finding, etc. Not nearly as physically strong as I once was though! Aiming for ~30 lb packs.

Dates: Aug 18 - 28.

Questions all revolve around Crabtree Pass -- I'm a little concerned about my 13 yo here.

How steep is the N side? Is it a chute? Or more of a steep talus field? Is there loose material? Dirt? Scree?

My gut feeling is that it would be easier to go up the north side than down it. Opinions?

If we go Northbound, please describe how to identify the best route down. I've read to stay slightly to the L on the way down - but if going up maybe stay slightly R at top.

Anyone want to use their crystal ball to guess whether there will be snow on the N (or S) side of that pass by Aug 20? How about up in Wallace, etc.

Is Crabtree Pass more or less difficult than say, Thunderbolt Pass? Pants Pass? Milestone Pass? Lamark Col?

THANKS in advance for any thoughts!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Crabtree Pass - Specific Q's - First Trip for Teen

Post by Mike M. »

SkyPilotSky, the north side is a fairly steep chute, but there is well-defined track that zigs zags through the chute from the top of the pass to a point where the steepness relents. I'll be there a few days before you this year and expect to find a little bit of snow on the pass itself, but not much snow in the chute. I've been over the pass many times, including in 1983 and in 2011, both big snow years, and did not have a problem. I'll have a 45 lb on my back this year, as I did in '83 and 2011. The chute is mostly dirt with some talus; it is not loose, if I recall. Wear boots (I always do).

13 is a great age to introduce a youngster to this kind of hiking. If I were you, I would try to limit his pack weight to 20 pounds to ensure he has a great experience. At that age, I try to limit what they carry to their personal kit -- sleeping bag, sleeping pad, snacks, water, clothes, and toiletries.

Crabtree Pass is much easier than Pants Pass; it's easier than Milestone Pass. Lamarck Col is easier than Crabtree Pass (Lamarck Col has a well defined trail all the way from the trailhead to the pass, except for the final push through a snowfield at the top, where many hikers veer off too far to the right). I think Thunderbolt Pass is easier than Crabtree -- at least it was for me.

I have some photos of Crabtree Pass I can post here next week, when I get back from my weekend adventure, a four-day float on the Deschutes River.

Mike
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Sky,
The north side of Crabtree Pass is definitely trickier than the south side, but in my book it's appreciably easier than the huge talus on Thunderbolt. Since I prefer to climb the harder "stuff" going N to S certainly would be a good plan, but Crabtree should not be an obstacle, either way. In fact, I just consulted the cross-country passes section of HST which often has vey helpful information and photos concerning off-trail routes. I am planning to supplement the material for Crabtree Pass later today, so please check it for more details. Once I finish uploading photos, Crabtree Pass will jump to the top of the queue, so it'll be easy to find. And, the lakes in Crabtree basin are well worth the visit! Cameron
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Whereas I think individual experiences will vary depending on the exact route, my impressions are fairly similar to others. Crabtree's north side is steeper and therefore more difficult than the south side, but I consider it easier than Thunderbolt for the same reasons that Cameron does: the smaller talus/scree of the N side of Crabtree is much easier to hike over than the giant talus blocks of Thunderbolt. Even though there is a well-worn trail over much of Lamarck Col, I consider Lamarck to be equal in difficulty or perhaps a bit harder than Crabtree because of (1) the approach is very long to Lamarck Col on both sides and (2) the south side of Lamarck, getting around some of the shoreline of Darwin Canyon Lakes, involves some very large boulders the likes of which you do not encounter on either side of Crabtree. It goes without saying that Crabtree is vastly easier than Pants Pass even though Pants Pass is mercifully very short. This is because the super-steep nature of Pants Pass and the loose nature of the talus.

Regarding the snow, I descended the north side at the beginning of July 1996 and did not find the north side completely swaddled in snow, let alone blocked by steep sections at the top. I was able to steer around snow at the critical parts, then walk across it where convenient or necessary lower down. Although 2017 was an exceptionally heavy winter (1996 was above average but not hugely heavy) I expect that by August 18 you will have plenty of room to maneuver around the snow on the north side. I'm sure there will still be patches, but they won't block your progress.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi sky,
I just finished posting additional shots of the pass in the xc passes forum. And, judging from giantbrookie's comments, it looks like a consensus is developing: yes, it'll be a bit of a challenge, but nothing insurmountable. Another reason to go N-to-S is you'll be more acclimated. Incidentally, there are several nice spots to camp around that uppermost lake in Crabtree canyon, so if you stay there, you can tackle the pass when you're fresh in the morning. I am not a fan of hitting xc passes in late afternoon............Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Remembered Bluewater, one of our members, posting a TR, one of many TR's to this area, could be helpful with the pictures included: http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -2015.html
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SkyPilotSky
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SkyPilotSky »

Wow!! What an amazing resource! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I now feel confident in our ability to do this pass southbound. And the most recent trip report map that Cameron posted looks like a great resource for the way down the S side. Perfect. Thank you Cameron - and Maverick for the other trip report - I hadn't seen that one.

Mike, I appreciated your comment on taking teens out AND keeping their packs a little lighter. Good reminder. I'll look for you out there!

I appreciate everyone for chiming in on relative difficulties of the passes - very helpful for context.

Thank you all again.
Sky (love that!)
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hope it all goes swimmingly and you manage to document the highlights with a trip report! Cameron
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Welcome, and best wishes for a great trip Sky. If you really love the area, come back in the snowy season. A few pics from my spring trip there:
miter basin-127.JPG
Part of the route toward the pass from the south end of Sky Blue Lake, The Miter on the right.

miter basin-091.JPG
Crabtree Pass in the middle right, swooping down from Mt. McAdie.

miter basin-063.JPG
The view westward from C. Pass at a frozen upper Crabtree Lake. Some of the cliffs are well over 1,000 feet!

I envy you for getting to see the lakes of Miter Basin with some water in them. We look forward to hearing about your trip, good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Just did Crabtree Pass last weekend. Will post a TR very soon! For now:

- We did the pass N-S (Crabtree to Miter Basin)
- S side/Miter Basin is covered in snow. We glissaded down the first face of the S side.
- N side is snow free, and just requires some basic class 2 scrambling up a rocky and sandy chute. Fun but tiring.
- We did the pass around 5-6pm I think. We were lucky to avoid a threatening storm that was headed for Mt. Whitney. Keep in mind that it is monsoon season and the Whitney area is a lightning rod, so to speak. Although I'm sure you know this--it's good to be reminded for planning purposes!
- Ice axe is required, IMO. There are some big exposures on both sides. N side: you must traverse a steep snowfield on the W side of the last Crabtree Lake, with a slide exposure down into the icy lake. S side: there are some fairly steep traverses with rocks at the bottom.
- We used microspikes for the two traverses I think, because they were steep. Other times, we kicked snow with our trail runners, as it was soft in the afternoon. For morning travel, I would recommend microspikes for the steeper traverses near the pass as the snow will be harder.
- There was intermittent snow travel from about the second Crabtree Lake to Sky Blue Lake. But it's melting fast!

Let me know if you have any questions! Like I said, I'll get a TR up soon with pics. Also, the Crabtree Pass page http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 31&t=14995 via the HST map helped us navigate from Crabtree down to Sky Blue.