Trailhead question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Trailhead question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If one were to go in from Horseshoe Lake (Mammoth Lakes Basin) over Mammoth Pass and down to the PCT or up to Roper's High Route, what is the trailhead name, and what permit would you need? Given the road construction down at Devils Postpile, this may be a way to head south on the PCT or High Route when you cannot from Reds Meadow weekdays when the road is closed.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trailhead question

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Red Cones, I think.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Looking at the Inyo NF online interactive map that is called the Mammoth Pass trailhead.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks, Red Cone it is. Although the pass is Mammoth Pass, on recreation.gov the permit is given for Red Cone.

It does not say if you can go north from Reds Meadow, on towards Minaret Lakes as long as you do not stop. Yosemite makes you get another permit in the Valley if you go down one rim and up the other, even if you only cross the valley and continue. I am not sure Devils Postpile has a similar rule. Going south, however seems OK.
MitchellK
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by MitchellK »

I'm sure you probably already have access to this, but in case it's useful to you or to anyone else that comes by: Inyo publishes these awesome little docs that are annoying to find for each trailhead area. I get to them from the "Download map for trail names in this area" link after getting more details for a nearby trailhead in recreation.gov. Specifically the area map for your area is this one https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 337629.pdf

I know it doesn't fully solve your issue since they don't highlight Mammoth Pass directly (WHY INYO), but it does more clearly point out that there wouldn't really be any other reasonable permit option other than the Red Cones for the entry you're describing.

P.S. To discover the other maps like that one without going back to recreation.gov, sometimes I just change the last digit on that link. It works better than you'd expect :)
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:53 pm Thanks, Red Cone it is. Although the pass is Mammoth Pass, on recreation.gov the permit is given for Red Cone.

It does not say if you can go north from Reds Meadow, on towards Minaret Lakes as long as you do not stop. Yosemite makes you get another permit in the Valley if you go down one rim and up the other, even if you only cross the valley and continue. I am not sure Devils Postpile has a similar rule. Going south, however seems OK.
from devils postpile website:

"Your wilderness permit for a Reds Meadow Valley trailhead is valid if you're starting your hike at the Main Lodge or Minaret Vista and hiking to the trailhead indicated on your permit. If you want to instead start in the Lakes Basin, you will need a permit for Horseshoe Lake"

This to me implies that your red cones permit is sufficient. I would expect it to say "If you want to instead start in the Lakes Basin, you also will need a permit for Horseshoe Lake." if both were required