Save Tuolumne free buses

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Save Tuolumne free buses

Post by markskor »

In Yosemite, the free buses Tuolumne are on the chopping block. The bus drivers mentioned that the only way to save this valuable resource is to drop a letter to the superintendent Yosemite.
So, take a second and copy and paste below...

yose_planning@nps.gov

Superintendent Don Neubacher
Attn: Tuolumne Meadows Hiker Bus.
Last year Yosemite provided much-needed transportation options... car-free access to and around the high country. I understand that these services are being/(could be?) curtailed next year. This would be tragic...a bad decision. Please continue the Tuolumne free bus services - both the small shuttle (Olmsted Point - the Lodge) and the hiker bus traversing from Valley - Tuolumne.

edit to add:

National Park Service
Yosemite National Park
http://www.nps.gov/yose/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/YosemiteNPS
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/YosemiteNPS

Attn: Tuolumne Meadows Hiker Bus
P.O. BOX 577
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA 95389-0577
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Save Tuolumne free buses

Post by rlown »

message sent to Yose..
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I heard this as well but have not seen any confirmation.
Is it true?

If so it seems so short sighted and contradictory to the stated aim to reduce car use in the park.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Done
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just to add -
Mav sent me an e-mail suggesting that one petition, coming from all of us here on HST, might carry much more weight than many individual messages sent...seems reasonable.
If you cannot send one "keep the Tuolumne buses" request in yourself, just add a "+1" here, and I will gladly write/ assemble a group message to the superintendent - coming from all us concerned folks here at HST.
Mark
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

+1
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

first draft...

Attn: Tuolumne Meadows Hiker Buses
Sir,
I am a representative/ administrator from a hiking forum - HighSierraTopix.com.
Recently the subject of the Tuolumne free bus closure has attracted forum responses, all concerned with the possible closure/demise of the free Tuolumne bus lines - both the free small Tuolumne shuttle (Olmsted Point - Tuolumne Lodge), and the Hiker shuttle that ran Valley - Tuolumne.

From riding both these buses this past season, all the drivers have mentioned that Yosemite is considering ending both lines - end of 2015 hiking season. This confuses me after all your supposed emphasis recently on alleviating cars/ congestion from the park roads. In the past, Yosemite has shown an enlightened attitude in how it treats guests in the park. These buses enabled hikers to access trailheads without adding crowded TH parking lots...greatly reducing the 120 traffic...just a great resource for those of us hiking the wilderness trails. Why are hikers/backpackers now being penalized for visiting Yosemite...doing it their way...sans car? Do you really want to see more hitch-hikers on the 120 corridor? Do you want to add more 120 parking? Are you just catering to the Valley cash cows? Is this a decision based on Delaware North's losing the concession? (BTW, they did not do a good job anyway.)

This ceasing of the Tuolumne bus service seems a major step in the wrong direction...why? Our forum is 7,000 strong - all backpackers, and all agreeing that ending these Yosemite Tuolumne bus services is a bad decision, one better off not taken.
thanks,
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Good idea but I would tone down the petition. Maybe just me, but as is, it sounds too confrontational. No need to bring in anything about Delaware North or "fat cats" in the valley. Just state that backpackers really use this service and it has reduced congestion on 120. Personally I would be willing to pay a small amount too. Just like a city bus, drop coins in when you get on. Or have Yosemite issue an annual "bus pass" for a small fee (I would be willing to pay $20 for an annual Tuolumne area shuttle only). As for the Valley to Tuolumne, are you talking about the YARTS bus? I was not aware of any other bus does this.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Wd - thanks for the good critique...good points.

FYI, Last year Yosemite provided, for the first time, a free shuttle bus, 3X a day from the Valley - Tuolumne...also a return trip TM - Valley, also 3X a day...all free (not the YARTS bus). This was in addition to the smaller TM free shuttle that traversed Olmsted Point to the Lodge and back. Both these bus routes are now at risk.

I rode these buses many times, (BTW, a large white bus holding ~45 hikers) - same size as the YARTS.
Buses were always full during the prime hiking season.
Just a great resource long needed.
Mark
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

+1
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix