Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
davishere
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by davishere »

Hi Everyone. My name is David. Recently I have come across HST. I love camping, hiking. Hopefully I will be able to gain knowledge about camping and can help the community in one way or another.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi David,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
solohiker5555nomo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by solohiker5555nomo »

Hi All - I joined HST a few months ago and already have benefitted greatly from searching previous posts and posting questions of my own. About me: I started backpacking with my 8 year old son in the Adirondacks back in the mid-90s then became hooked on the mountain West when he and I first backpacked in the northern portions of Yellowstone (far from the crowds). After he went off to college i started solo treks in Ystone and Glacier NP, (thus the "solohiker"portion of my trailname). My wife and I retired a few years ago and moved 20 minutes from Glacier NP, where she now joins me on some of the treks in GNP and beyond (thus the "solonomo" portion of my trail name). I've also backpacked in the Bob Marshall, the Beartooths, Tetons and Canadian Rockies. The Sierra has been on the bucket list for years and i am finally making plans for a nine day trip in Sept '24. I'll be sure to post a TR when i return. -David
Mitch5
Topix Newbie

Post by Mitch5 »

Hi everyone. I've found HST to have some of the best info for trip planning. So many informative trip reports. A group of friends and family and I go on a backpacking trip each year, usually they are about 3-4 days trips. We are trying to make it two a year.
Places we've/I've gone over the years include:
-Mt. Whitney starting from Kings Canyon
-Courtright Lake to Cliff Lake and Dogtooth
-Hiking out from Isberg Trailhead (several trips, Joe Crane Lake, Post Peak, Chetwood Cabin, Surprise Saddle, X-country around Timber Knob)
-Lake Edison up Mono Creek to Golden Lake, summited Pointless Peak
-Florence Lake to Evolution Valley

This year we are looking to go again out of Isberg Trailhead to NFSJR, Bench Canyon, Blue Lake -> Rockbound Lake, and return via Long Creek Trail.
Second Hike might also be from Isberg Trailhead and include Timber Knob.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

SoloNomo and Mitch5. Hello and welcome to one of the best boards out there.
Justin-T
Topix Newbie

Post by Justin-T »

Hey All - used to frequent this forum as a lurker several years ago, when my family and I were doing annual visits to Yosemite for backpacking trips. Haven't been to the Sierra since the wild-fire affected 2018 trip when we had to make a last-minute switch from Yosemite to SEKI, but now waiting on a wilderness permit application for a late July 6-nighter circuit: Mono Meadow - Red Peak Pass - Merced Lake back to MM. If we don't get the permit I'll be looking for help...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Justin-T,

Welcome to HST! :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SierraMountainSpirit
Topix Newbie

Post by SierraMountainSpirit »

Hello,

I just found this forum today, and I am glad to join.

I am Sierra, named after our favorite mountain range in California. I have been hiking in the mountains since my 6th grade teacher took me on a backpacking trip near Tahoe, and did my first solo trip there for 6 days when I was 16 years old.

I have lived in Alaska, New York City, Washington State, and now the Mojave Desert for my career, and I am very much happy to be close to the Sierra Nevada again. Its different now with the online reservations system and overcrowded demand for permits now. I have turned into that kind of old timer in my mid 50s who laments the good old days when costs of getting to the trail, and getting permits was easy and much less expensive.

Looking forward to sharing out love of the Sierra Nevada High Country together!
Sierra South Fork Big Pine Creek Oct 2023 800 px.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi SierraMountainSpirit,

Welcome to HST! :nod:

mt.eo
Topix Novice

Post by mt.eo »

Hi everyone! My name is Mateo. I have done a decent amount of popular day-hikes in the Sierra, but haven't been backpacking in the range quite yet. I have a few permits lined up for summer, so you might see me asking questions on what the best things to see are on a certain trailhead. I love photography, so my trips will be geared towards this most of the time. Glad to have found this forum!