Hitch-Hiking Experiences/Stories

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Hitch-Hiking Experiences/Stories

Post by Snowtrout »

Yes, my wife and I picked a very interesting guy up!!

About 7-8 years ago, my wife and I drove up the Kings river above Pine Flat and saw a kayaker hanging out at the bridge where the north fork enters. We started talking and he asked if he could get a ride to the Fresno REI (to find someone who could transport him to Yosemite). Turned out the young man, named Dan, was a professional kayaker and had just spent the week kayaking down the Kings river after hiking over Bishop Pass alone. Now he needed to get back across the Sierra to his car in Bishop. He showed us video from his GoPro.....some of the drops and rapids were a bit crazy. We ended driving Dan down to Piedra, where he was able to call his new wife in Boise. We told him he could stay with us that night and we could drive him up to the Yosemite entrance since we were fishing Bass lake the next day. That night, Dan ended up going to a kids birthday party in east Clovis (wore extra clothes of mine since he stunk a little) and spent the night sleeping in a hammock in the front yard of mother in-laws house in Tivy Valley. Next day, we drove to our house, picked up our boat, threw his kayak into our boat and drove to the Yosemite entrance out of Oakhurst. Dan used YARTS and other busses to get back to his car in Bishop and was back in Boise 2-3 days later. Great day for all involved: we caught some nice 18" kokes that day too.

We are still friends on Facebook and it seems his adventures are a little tamer, now that he has a daughter. :D