What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques?

Post by SSSdave »

After my current jacket front zipper kept failing, I purchased via Amazon for $27.99 and have now received one of these Spmor Men's Lightweight Waterproof Jacket Packable Windbreaker Running Coat. This is the best such product I've ever had a this price point.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XV33DT3?re ... sc_as_ri_0

For decades have been wearing and promoting use of these low cost synthetic shell jackets while backpacking and hiking but it is only recently that they seem to have been accepted as more mainstream outdoor gear. Much more common over longer periods have been similar waterproof rain jackets. However at sub $30 prices, they have never been effective at preventing serious soakings but rather a barrier from light showers. Especially less water resistant after just a few trips of use and washings. There have always been numbers of heavier jacket products for mountaineering level use using more costly modern materials.

I began using these shells long ago but not for rain protection. In fact, I've always also carried more robust lightweight rain jackets on backpacking trips that double as additional cold weather layers, wearing both. Wearing any rain jacket with a heavy pack on stressing seams, is a formula for quickly creating wicking pinholes in seams and abrased thin areas that upon heavier rain become wicking nightmares. Thus tend to limit use of rain gear for sake of longevity.

As an old landscape and nature photographer, I'm often out on trips during mosquito season because that is when High Sierra aesthetics are often peaking with greenery, wildflowers, ephemeral streams, and snow still dappling peaks. The advantage of such jackets versus t-shirts and other popular warm weather outdoor clothing is that mosquitoes cannot poke their probosci through the fine dense strand material. By the 1990's most such raw fabrics became coated for water resistance or proofing. I actually prefer non-coated fabrics because I was never interested in rain resistance but rather breathability and stopping bugs. But such coatings also better inhibit probosci, especially with the more common polyester fabrics. Uncommon uncoated nylon works best but due to cost tends to be less used.

Beyond fabric, the important features are a front zipper, zippered side pockets, elastic waist band, elastic wrist bands, and hood. The hood on the above model is also zipper removable and has a cord lock adjustment. The zippers have attached pulls and are hidden behind hems. This model also has an upper chest zippered pocket. I generally buy one size larger models to accommodate layering. Dark colors are more attractive to mosquitoes and I've always been one to wear clothes that blend in with natural elements. Although the stitching appears well done, I will be applying some clear fabric cement at seam stitching locations that will bear stronger stresses. These products are not robust, so eventually seams may unravel and zippers may increasingly become stuck.

When wearing my packs, I often have the front zipper unzipped because even where mosquitoes are numerous, if moving along a route or trail, few ever attempt to land in front unless one stops. So a good way to increase cooling ventilation. As a synthetic, the thin fabric doesn't soak up sweat like cotton and likewise the outside if wet quickly dries. At mosquitoey camping areas, have sometimes taken my daily dunking in lakes/streams while wearing the shell for brief protection between tent and water sources since that also cleans it.