SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by fishmonger »

I am also one of those who has been dreaming of living in Owens Valley for over 30 years, but 2 years ago when life changes happened that could have made a relocation easier to set in motion, it was already obvious that I could at best afford to live in Ridgecrest, and that's just not where I want to spend time compared to a nice place in the state I've always lived in. So I decided to stay here, and just travel more to the places I love to hike and explore. I have a house with a pool and 3 acres on what they call a "mountain" here. There's a 150 foot ski jump ramp 500 feet from the house, yes, in Wisconsin. Not ideal, but the best compromise I can come up with, and I can afford to live here, plus my accumulated health insurance won't run out 4x faster than out of state.

Several houses on the western slope of the Sierra that were of interest 2 years ago went up in flames before I could even get serious about visiting and checking out those areas (e.g. Camp Nelson, Sequoia Crest, Ponderosa), so even that alternate CA relocation plan went up in smoke.

Having been early-retired by my employer at the start of the pandemic, I am now one of those who could give a hoot about "returning to the workforce" as voices in the media are almost begging people of my age to do - I'd rather be poor and visit my favorite places for months at a time to live life, than to return to something I was going to quit doing around next year anyway.

That Sierra bug got me o my first visit in '88, so here are a few more images from that hike

From Silver Pass south - Bear Ridge in foreground red and green, behind it Seven Gables above everything else.

JMT_1988__0254

On the descent from Bear Ridge

JMT_1988__0282
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

fishmonger wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:31 pm Having been early-retired by my employer at the start of the pandemic, I am now one of those who could give a hoot about "returning to the workforce" as voices in the media are almost begging people of my age to do
I hear ya, Fish
My employer early retired me in 2013. I was lucky---they gave me a generous retirement package. It was the best thing that happened to me.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

HP laid me off 3 times since 2009.. Went back twice, but not the 3rd time. Downsized and never looked back.
Much happier now after 32 years with them.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

One of my first off trail adventures in the Sierra was this excursion up the west flank of Mount Spencer above Evolution Lake, July 1988 during my first JMT hike. I had totally forgotten about this little afternoon scramble up the side of Spencer until I scanned the old slides. I didn't get to the top as the west ridge gets too steep for a safe solo climb and I had no idea back then that you could just contour around to the back of the peak to get to the top.

JMT_1988__0335
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

And here's a proper Sierra inspiration shot from 1988. Likely part of the reasons why I kept coming back, that morning coming across Muir Pass was just epic. I don't think I have seen Wanda Lake this calm ever again since that day. Still one of my favorite miles on the JMT

JMT_1988__0339
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Mirror mirror on the lake...

Goddard above a calm Wanda Lake, July 1988

JMT_1988__0337
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

When the forest was still green and healthy along Palisade Creek.

Minutes below the Golden Staircase on the John Muir Trail in 1988

JMT_1988__0352
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Never shared this Whitney summit sunrise moment in this thread. Needed a break from all those old JMT shots. More coming, but this 2018 sunrise was my 30th anniversary on top of Whitney for a sunrise. In 88 we spent the night up there as well.

Taking it all in
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Bullfrog lake, July 1988 after a storm had just moved through

JMT_1988__0422
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Just so Fishmonger doesn't feel lonely being the only one posting old photos, here's my scanned slide of Bullfrog Lake from September 1970.
-Phil
1.04-South over Bullfrog Lake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.