TR: Yosemite Edge Piece (July 7-9, 2023)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Yosemite Edge Piece (July 7-9, 2023)

Post by frozenintime »

Last summer I finally made it to the northwestern edge of Yosemite, an HST favorite that might share more of its personality with Emigrant Wilderness than Yosemite.

Due to the the wild snow year of 2023, water access was not an issue on the Kibbie Ridge section, and the snow was still slowly receding from the higher elevations. We also got very, very lucky that even in mid July, the mosquitos had not taken over. Additionally, there was a controlled burn at Cherry Reservoir, which thankfully stayed mostly away from our travels.

All in all it was a great weekend, though I feel like we saw a great deal of the area and I may not need to go back for a few years.

The full report is here: https://badmountain.org/yosemite-edge-piece

And bits of it are below :)

As we approached Styx Pass, the views opened up onto miles and miles of granite.

We tried to cross at the north end of Boundary Lake, but were eventually forced to wade its margin. The water was surprisingly warm.

Boundary Lake is pretty.

We climbed the western shoulder of the peak in front of Bartlett (x8219 on the topo). In retrospect, it actually has a nicer view than Bartlett, looking out over the gorgeous chain of lakes we’d be wandering tomorrow.

We contoured around the backside of Bartlett on good if sometimes steep slabs, and then back up to the peak.

We dropped off the east side of Bartlett and started to encounter more and more snow. It was mushy and a bit slippery in the hot afternoon, but we pushed on without issue.

Eventually we popped out above the southern end of the upper Inferno Lake. The terrain had been surprisingly difficult, and we were getting tired. The lake is rimmed by cliffs and already screened in shadow. We weren’t sure how good the camping would be down there, so we set up shop on the slabs above.

We took a sunset walk up to a nice spot and gazed for miles into Emigrant.

It was warm overnight – likely in the 50s. The sun woke us hot and sticky in our tents at 7 AM.

We got ourselves up a ridge and scoped out Nance Peak. The group briefly split into two here, on ideological lines. The "let's climb" team (wrong) went up, and we (right) went down. There was a lot of snow and unfortunately my friend postholed himself straight into a rock that dinged up his calf pretty badly. It... didn't look great. He took stock for a few minutes and was thankfully not much worse for the wear.

We met back up with the full group near the base of the climb to Nance Peak, and off we went up steep but easy forest. The top of Nance Peak is extraordinary: broad and expansive with a shocking amount of air dropping straight off of its southeast side, 2200 feet down to Edith Lake. It’s impossible to show the scale, but this lake is practically half a mile below us.

Some people who are not me sat right on the edge.

Eventually we dropped back down the way we came, and on to Spotted Fawn Lake (in the center of this photo). The going was both easy and sort of annoying in a boulder/brush kind of way.

We worked our way around the west side of the lake, which is so brushy that we waded the entire way. At one point the water was deep enough to lick the bottom of our packs.

We followed the slabs up toward Little Bear Lake.

We wandered down Little Bear's outlet stream, which was magical.

We bottomed out at Bartlett Creek, and were immediately thrust into one of the more deranged terrains (non-talus category) that I’ve encountered in the Sierra. While it looks benign on the map, this group of small lakes are full of mini cliffs, and multitudinous lake arms that must be negotiated. We wandered, seemingly in circles, for a while before finally pausing at a small pond to regroup.

Many Island Lake is the closest one to Kibbie Ridge, and looks to receive a lot of attention, but we had it to ourselves this night.

More glorious slabs.

Morning.

We climbed up a little dome and had amazing views across much of what we had traveled.

From there it was mostly a speed walk back through the forest. The brush was still brushy, but subjectively didn’t seem as bad on the way back. We made it back to the car by a little after noon, and were back to the world shortly.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: TR: Yosemite Edge Piece (July 7-9, 2023)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for posting the report. You did a similar route I did years ago, a month earlier 5/30-6/4, 2016, in quite similar snow conditions. The travel is a bit more difficult than it looks like on a map. Before coming out from Many Island Lake I dropped down to Lord Meadow and did a little hike down Cherry Creek - it was roaring! Glad you got up to Nance Peak. The view is amazing. Your photos are very good, better than the ones I took.

The Kibby Ridge Trail was in better shape in 2016. It does occasionally get worked on by CCC crews.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We did a similar trip more than ten years ago during a dry year. Travel was way easier--those streams and cascades were all dry. Thart made it easy. We saw one person in three days.

We use a photo of Boundary Lake on the homepage of our website.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Great TR and photos! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Did you meet or hear any of the Kibbe Ridge locals? I mean the snakes, bears,...
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

WD: i feel sure i read that exact report at some point! i would absolutely agree that the terrain is kind of unforgiving in spots, especially given how wide open the area often reads on the topo.

there was quite a bit of flagging tape up in some of the brushy section on kibbie ridge, maybe they got to it later in the summer.

harlen: no snakes or bears. not sure we saw much of anything anywhere on this one. besides two or three old california license plates fused to trees? what's up with that?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I ran into a mother and cub on my 2016 trip. I would gladly exchange that experience for your no-bear experience. As much as Harlen loves bears, I rather not meet any more. I have paid my dues. When I day-hiked down Cherry Creek from Lord Meadow I ran into a kayak paddle. I wondered what they did once they lost their paddle? :eek:
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

yeah i don't need to see any more bears, though i know that i will (in places like kibbie especially).
there were four of us hiking in relative proximity, so i'm sure that had an effect on wildlife as well.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I much prefer to see Bears over Rattlesnakes. We ran into a LOT of snakes on Kibbie Ridge, and some were really big ones. Here's what I wrote in the TR for that trip:
...As for the Rattlesnakes, we were buzzed by 4 giants, who shared the Kibbie Ridge trail with us. All were between 3 and 4 feet, and the ones pictured below are the 4 footers. We spent some time with each snake, attempting to teach the dogs to avoid them ("Snake! Bearzy-- NO Chasing!"), and also just to admire them. [All Rattlesnake encounters were between 7,000' and 7,700'-- between the Shingle Spring TH, and the small lake above where we dropped down to Many Island Lk.].

#2767 Missing Filename File.jpg

#2820 Missing Filename File.jpg

DSC02520.jpg
The Giant one!

p.s. frozen, I really enjoyed your other Trip Reports from "Bad Mountain."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Nice trip report with some beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing. Maybe one of these days I'll get out and about in that area.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

frozenintime wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:08 am harlen: no snakes or bears. not sure we saw much of anything anywhere on this one. besides two or three old california license plates fused to trees? what's up with that?
The old timers used to use those license plates to mark cross country ski trails. Nail them up on a tree above the snow level, and keep your eyes peeled.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963