Self register locations for Yosemite prior to AP25

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Self register locations for Yosemite prior to AP25

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The wilderness office does not open to answer questions until Ap 15. Does anyone know if self-registration is ONLY done in Yosemite Valley or can I self-register at Big Oak or Hetch Hetchy entry. I have self-registered before in the valley for trips starting there. I am considering a self-register permit from Hetch Hetchy and need to know if I have to plan for time to drive to the valley to get the permit.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Self register locations for Yosemite prior to AP25

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I know where the wilderness permit offices are. The question is can I self-register at them. Two years ago the Big Oak entrance office was open but did not allow self-register. I had to fight traffic down to Yosemite Valley to get a permit to start at Glacier Point. The wilderness office in Yosemite Valley will not take calls until April 15. The never-ending phone tree got me nowhere. Seems there is no way to actually talk to a person now.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hetch Hetchy Entrance Station

Season: Approximately April through October. From November through March, self-registration permits are available at the rear window of the kiosk.
Hours: Permits are issued at the entrance station. The entrance station only issues permits from 8 am to 5 pm.. There is no access to Hetch Hetchy trailheads when road is closed.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks. I called the Yosemite Conservancy and they were helpful too. They did say that not all the information on the Yosemite website had been updated to reflect current policy.

April 26 is the last day this year 2024 that you can self-permit. I assume someone has to be at the station to collect the money. Evidently you still have to pay for the permit- I did read that on the website. I do not recall paying two years ago when I self-registered, but my memory is not that good. I forgot to ask them specifically about payment.

Maybe Harlen will chime in-- he did a ski tour there recently.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I went on an early season trip out of Hetchy almost two decade ago, self-registered, and did not pay anything.
viewtopic.php?p=11421#p11421

Found the following information:
During the off-season, roughly November through April, you can get a wilderness permit without reservations or fees at self-registration or permit issuing stations.
https://www.yosemite.com/plan-your-trip ... s-permits/

Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

I am presently holding the Winter Wilderness Permit for Yosemite NP that I obtained this January from a clearly marked kiosk in front of the Visitor Center in the Valley. Of note:

(1) Very little to fill out.

(2) The quota system exists year round and there is a marker board showing permit availability. When you issue a permit to yourself, mark the number of people in your team on the board, so others can see updated remaining availability.

(3) If you are spending a night on a Wall, there is also a similar permit for that.

(4) Retain pink copy and leave white copy at kiosk.

(5) No cost.

Jim
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

One apparent change for 2024 is that the weekends of Ap 14-15 and 20-21 are blocked out for getting stating day permits by self-registration. I am not sure where I read (or maybe misinterpreted) that fees would be charged for all wilderness permits. On those weekends you have to get a permit from Reserve.gov. (I would think you have to minimally pay the booking fee) except at Hetch Hetchy where the permits are first come (with no mention of a fee or no fee). Still a bit unclear.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks Mav. When WD posted, I too was wondering about this because I'm considering a late April overnighter out of HH. My (work) schedule is probably too hectic to justify me getting up there, but just in case, it's nice to know I can self issue.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted

Post by FrankPS »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:24 am On those weekends you have to get a permit from Reserve.gov.
Do you mean Recreation.gov?