Off trail recs from Pine Creek TH

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
liquidaddicted
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Off trail recs from Pine Creek TH

Post by liquidaddicted »

Hello all!

My first post here... I have a permit for a 6-7 day trip leaving Pine Creek trailhead on 8/12/24 and I have a few questions. One- I am new to the permit system in the Sierra- my pass says that I can't go toward Gable lakes or Italy pass- Does this mean ever throughout the whole trip, or just not directly from the trailhead.

My next question involves route suggestions. I am moderately experienced in off trail travel. I was out in the Winds 2 summers ago and did multiple 6 day loops in there. I had the Pallister (WanderingDaisy on here I believe- I'm a long time lurker) book that well outlined various routes and so I do not have much experience figuring this out on my own. Looking for class 2-ish routes. Would love to loop or lollipop if possible. The equivalent of 10-ish trail miles per day or so. Looking at the pinned suggestion post- I would say that I have level 3 experience. I don't really want to go much above class 2- I maybe solo. I don't love snow/glacier travel as I don't have much experience with this either.

Can anyone help me plan my route or point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it so much. I just ordered the Roper book and the trekking California book. As I hope this will be the first of many trips for me in the Sierra. I love book recommendations as well

Thanks so much
liquidaddicted
Topix Novice

Re: Off trail recs from Pine Creek TH

Post by liquidaddicted »

My current thought is something like:

Trail to Honeymoon Lk- trail towards Merriam Lk, up to La Salle Lk, Featherlite to Den lakes, then bear lakes to Italy and back out. and then I looked at my permit and saw that maybe I can't go to Italy Lake? This permit stuff is a lot for my to wrap my brain around not being familiar with the area.

Thanks again
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Your permit governs entry. You can exit anywhere, except Whitney which requires a permit specific to that exit. To enter over Italy Pass you'd want an Italy Pass permit, but you can exit over Italy Pass with a Pine Creek permit. Additionally, you probably listed various camping zones for each night on the trail. These can be revised, and even so, once in the backcountry you can deviate from those locations - things don't also go per initial plan.

For advice, please provide the info noted in this link. viewtopic.php?t=4205 It will help the gang here tailor suggestions to your experience and interests.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

FWIW I've started at PC TH many times and I've never had my permit checked. If you select Pine Ck Pass and then try to digitally enter where you expect to camp the first night some options will be unavailable, e.g. Glacier Park and Chalfant lakes, but little Golden lake is ok. But this is only a first night prohibition. You can absolutely finish your trip any way you choose. Your proposed trip, over Feather pass to Den and Vee and the Bears and finishing over Italy pass, is a great route.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What did you put in when you applied (and got) your permit? I always put in just what I want to do, and if the permit allows it, then, to me that means it is OK. You can still change the route when you are out there- just end at the trailhead you designated (are permitted). And if a ranger gives you grief, just say the system is too confusing and you simply did what you thought was right. I doubt they would give you grief about that.
liquidaddicted
Topix Novice

Post by liquidaddicted »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm What did you put in when you applied (and got) your permit? I always put in just what I want to do, and if the permit allows it, then, to me that means it is OK. You can still change the route when you are out there- just end at the trailhead you designated (are permitted). And if a ranger gives you grief, just say the system is too confusing and you simply did what you thought was right. I doubt they would give you grief about that.

I am star struck :) Thanks so much for writing your Wind Book! You've help me to explore off trail in ways I wouldn't have imaging on my own and it has lit a fire in me to try out new routes!!

As far as campsites go- the rec.gov site only makes you choose your first night campsite. I am unfamiliar with the area, so that is all I did. Looking to fill in the blanks now
liquidaddicted
Topix Novice

Post by liquidaddicted »

thegib wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm FWIW I've started at PC TH many times and I've never had my permit checked. If you select Pine Ck Pass and then try to digitally enter where you expect to camp the first night some options will be unavailable, e.g. Glacier Park and Chalfant lakes, but little Golden lake is ok. But this is only a first night prohibition. You can absolutely finish your trip any way you choose. Your proposed trip, over Feather pass to Den and Vee and the Bears and finishing over Italy pass, is a great route.
Thanks for making that clear- I don't want any trouble with the law!~ (but I also wanted to loop around to Italy Pass- now, I get both!)
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Do you like to fish? I know that you mentioned Italy Pass as somewhere that you would like to see, but another option lies to the south. The French Lake, Steelhead, Star, Puppet, etc area then across and up to Royce Lakes, Chalfant Lakes, and possibly Birchin Lake and the unnamed lake above it before returning to the trailhead. The off trail travel will be easier. The fishing should be very good (for volume anyway), and it would allow a very leisurely pace (~35miles total) with plenty of time to fish.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

If you go to the Bear Lakes Basin (highly recommended) you can exit via Italy Pass (via White Bear Pass), or Granite Bear pass, or a pass over to Royce Lakes which I don't remember the name of. If you exit via White Bear Pass, be prepared for some searching about. I wasn't able to find it, largely because I hadn't planned on going over it but I changed my mind, so I really didn't even know where the pass was. I found the pass to Granite Park, but not White Bear. Anyway, read up about it and you should be fine, but it isn't obvious.