Hiking High Sierra Trail late September 2024!!!

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking High Sierra Trail late September 2024!!!

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:25 pm So how many miles per hour do you walk when picking (and eating) those berries? I think I would end up never reaching Hamilton Lake!
As I've stated elsewhere, I begin the day hours before dawn while the air is cool, so I am doing between 2 and 3 mph for miles and miles. Then the one mile before Bearpaw HSC is where the best variety of berries is found, but only when I hit the season right. I normally hit Hamilton Lake by 3 p.m., which allows me time to stroll around, pick the best campsite away from people and mosquitos, and unwind those leg muscles.

Normally I keep a large ziplock bag in an outer pocket specifically for berry storage.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

The best berries of all that I find along this trail are Thimbleberries. They look like a ripe raspberry, except that they are pink to red. They are not very durable, though, so you have to eat them on the spot. I recall them near the trail junction downhill from Hamilton Lake.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

In my view, the weight penalty for taking a water filter these days is near zero. My 1L Katydyn bottle with filter weighs 2 grams more than my Nalgene canteen with a sip top. I'm quite happy to pay that tiny penalty for the added peace of mind.

(Also, sent PM to original poster re: carpooling.)