Badger Ridge Ski Tour- Dewey Pt. to Sentinel Dome, 3/18 - 3/21/2024

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

A while back I wrote:
Wintertime is on us, and I am dead keen to be out there floundering around in the snow again.  I have now recovered from my last ski-touring misadventure, so I'm ready for the next one.  I may choose the more pedestrian ski tour out from Badger Pass, along the snowy road toward the camp I've always dreamed of on top of Sentinel Dome.
  I've just returned from that dream of mine, and the wind-chill almost made it a nightmare!  All in all I had great weather, fine views, and even rare solitude in the well-traveled Yosemite National Park.
I arrived late Monday, just in time to catch a Wilderness Permit from the ranger in the little A-frame cabin at the foot of the Badger Pass Ski slopes.  He told me the rules, which have sadly changed from the last time I asked about campfires.  I mentioned the old ranger telling us that technically, we could only have a fire in an "established fire ring," which you won't see under the snow.  So if you choose to have a fire, he said, make sure to burn it down to tiny coals.  The current ranger laughed, and said "I bet I know who told you that.  I love that guy, but he was from the old days when rangers mostly just rode around on horseback and waved at people.  We do a bit more work now."  So no fires, and no camping right in the vicinity of Dewey Point.  I mentioned my plan to camp on Sentinel Dome, and he said, "Sounds cold-- not a lot of shelter up there."  I didn't mention camping at Washburn Point because I hadn't planned on it.  I had arrived at Washburn Pt very late on Day 2-- just in time to frantically photograph a brilliant sunset there, and then, oh well, there was a perfectly melted out, grave-size flat, right near the edge.  The last couple of skiers I met that day told me that I would be all alone at either Glacier, or Washburn Points.  I was too late to get up on Sentinel Dome for the night, so Washburn it was. 

100_6529.JPG
Why Not?!

I first skied out of Badger Pass about 30 years ago, with 10 friends, who drug my sorry arse all the way from Badger, to Washburn Point, then out to Dewey Point, and back to Badger Pass, in one very long day for a lousy skier.  They had remarked on Washburn having just as fine a view as Glacier Point.  I had wished at the time that we were stopping to camp there, so on this trip that wish also came true for me.

100_6492.JPG
It was so Beautiful!

Another of my early, and killing ski tours was with a climber friend, who wanted to show me the west face of Half Dome to interest me in climbing it with him (Later on, we did climb it via the easy "Snake Dike" route.).  He was a very fast skier, so we left home pre-dawn, drove to Badger Pass, skied to Sentinel Dome and back, then drove home to the coast in time for dinner.  That was when I got the bright idea to ski out there, but to camp on the Dome to enjoy that amazing panoramic view for hours instead of minutes.

So, this short trip entailed racing out to Dewey Point to catch the first sunset, and camping above for the night; then a 12 mile ski from Dewey to Washburn Point.  On Day 3, I took it easy, and skied from Washburn up onto Sentinel Dome.  It took just a couple miles, which meant I could remain up there freezing all day long, hiding under rocks like a lizard. The sky filled with clouds, and I got a thankfully brief thunder and lightning show to the east.  The wind died down in the night, and I was able to cowboy camp under the stars again.  It was a nice way to test my gear, and my new fibula bone, and everything but the blistering boots worked out great.  I got some nice images, and even better memories for my trouble.

100_6463.JPG
Tall Sugar and Jeffrey Pines out by Dewey Pt.  

100_6465.JPG
Sugar Pines are rare beauties, with their foot-long cones.

100_6447.JPG
The forest all along Badger Ridge is full of stunning tall trees.  This is good news, because most of the skiing is in that forest, with the peaks hidden.

100_6477.JPG
Huge Western White Pine (P. monticola).

100_6438.JPG
El Capitán hidden by Dewey Point.

100_6443.JPG
Aqui esta-- El Capitan.  Leaning Tower and Cathedral Peaks in the foreground.

100_6444.JPG
Sentinel Rock center, with Cloud's Rest and Half Dome above. *I just realized from the map that you can see Sentinel Dome above and right of Sentinel Rock, rising out of the forest.

100_6449.JPG

100_6452.JPG

100_6451.JPG
The air was clear, and I saw a broad, two-humped mountain in the northwest-- could that be Mt. Diablo?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_6439.JPG
Danger! Do not wander around Dewey Pt camp with slippery booties.

100_6454.JPG
I found this big fire circle to tuck into. That's Dewey Pt. in the near distance (red star). 

100_6458.JPG
I reckon a large group with shovels created this.  The fire pit may be legal, assuming these people knew of an existing fire ring right there.  I refrained from using it.

100_6457.JPG

100_6460.JPG
Jeffrey Pine and Red Fir.

100_6469.JPG
Twice I found open water.  Here's my first method of reaching it.

100_6470.JPG
The 2 pole method.

100_6478.JPG
Red Fir forest, aka: Abies magnifica

100_6479.JPG
Day 2 put me across Bridalveil Creek, past the Clark Range View, and up, up, about 800' to the trail to Taft Pt. and Sentinel Dome.  I decided I'd miss sunset if I tried for my goal of Sentinel Dome, and remembered my second desire to someday camp at Washburn Point.  I skied very fast down 300' of icy road, didn't wipe out, and made it just in time.

100_6481.JPG
Looking east from the last shot of Little Yosemite Valley and Nevada Falls, you see Mt. Starr King and the Illilouette watershed.

100_6492.JPG
My favorite image of the trip.  Washburn Point gives one this fascinating angle on Half Dome, and the view is set in a paradise forest of Jeffrey Pines.  I'm not so much a forest person, but the beauty of the whole Badger Ridge forest made me reflect on the sadness we'd feel were it burnt down into dry sticks.

100_6486.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_6484.JPG
The blue line roughly marks the Snake Dike route my buddy and I climbed way back when.

100_6508.JPG
As the land became shadowed, the peaks and domes glowed pink.

100_6499.JPG

100_6512.JPG

100_6527.JPG

100_6525.JPG
Nice warm camp.  Another blessedly windless night.

100_6530.JPG

100_6532.JPG

100_6475.JPG

100_6533.JPG
Skiing up to Sentinel Dome.

100_6577.JPG
There it is.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Badger Ridge Ski Tour- Dewey Pt. to Sentinel Dome, 3/18 - 3/21/2024

Post by Harlen »

100_6579.JPG

100_6552.JPG

100_6551.JPG
Nevada Falls from the slopes of Sentinel Dome.

100_6554.JPG
You can skin up the north side of the Dome.

100_6558.JPG

100_6557.JPG

100_6550.JPG
Mt. Clark left and Gray Peak right.

100_6535.JPG
I scratched out a level spot under a dwarf Jeffrey Pine.

100_6545.JPG
Top of Sentinel Dome with Mt. Hoffman to the left, and Mt. Conness to the far right.

100_6546.JPG
There's a great Alligator sculpture on the Dome.  I thought some joker/artiste had placed a round granite "eye" on the wood, but in fact, it is a knot.

100_6559.JPG

100_6542.JPG
Sentinel Dome really deserves a camera with panoramic capability.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_6537.JPG
Turning to the west, you can see El Capitan again.

100_6539.JPG

100_6565.JPG
I was up before dawn to get an early start homeward.  Surprisingly, I was back at Badger Pass by 11 AM.  The icy road was super fast on the downhills.

100_6570.JPG
I chose to strap on my skis and boot it down the icy slope of the Dome.  It all went well, and I was pleased not to have broken any more legs.
I read the weather carefully, and avoided the storm that came soon after I left.  I was stoked to be back out there sliding on snow after so long off the skis.  Good Luck!
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

What a dreamy trip! I backpacked the Pohono Trail years ago and have always wanted to get back up there in winter...your report definitely adds some stoke to the fire!
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

we need to go out somewhere together again?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Your photos made me realize I forgot what winter from atop Sentinel Dome looks like. I've gotta get back there! Despite your wind chilled remark, it looks like you had great weather. Are you on a new ski set up. What are the boots you ski?

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Where did you start from? Is the road only plowed to the ski area or a bit further? What is your guess at when the snow will be ready to walk on without skis, assuming no more new snow of significance? I am hoping to do a late April trip- do not mind walking on snow just do not want to have to use skis or snowshoes.

I had to look on a map to locate Washburn Point. Your photos from there look a lot like the ones I have taken from a buttress below the Panorama Trail almost in line with Washburn Point- one of my stealth camping spots for early season trips. Years ago, we climbed Half Dome before the cables were up or Glacier Point Road open and camped on Glacier Point on our way back via 4 Mile Trail. We did not know the 4-Mile Trail was closed until we were down where they close it.

Well, I would have built a fire in that big fire pit. Looks like a great trip and I liked all the photos.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Sounds like another great adventure with lots of good photos. My first ever ski-touring and snow-camping trip was from the Badger Pass ski area out to Dewey Point (we camped well short of the point and then continued on as a side ski) back in 1972, on wooden skis that had to be waxed. Thanks for reminding me of the great views from there in winter.
-Phil