Advice On A Few Cross-Country Routes/Passes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
OliverB
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Advice On A Few Cross-Country Routes/Passes

Post by OliverB »

Greetings all,

I have a solo excursion planned for mid-July southbound out of Mammoth Lakes and just wanted to see if anyone had any general advice or insights. As for myself, former low-key climber but mostly explorer. The High Sierra is the best place on earth. I haven't been out there for a while and really looking forward to this.

The plan is to head out to the Bloody Mountain area and over Ram or Bunny Pass, down past Purple Lake and up Minnow Creek to the lakes north of Graveyard Peak. Very straightforward. After crossing Graveyard Pass or Silver Fox and passing the Graveyard Lakes, I plan to traverse across the ridge above Vermilion Lake and down to Silver Pass Creek. I am curious if anyone has done this. From there, down to the Mono Pass Trail, up to the Second Recess and over Hilgard Pass.

There is a bit of steep terrain, some bluffs, in the upper part of the canyon below Hilgard Pass that I am wondering about.

From Lake Italy, the route continues to Beartrap Lake and over Ursula Pass.

Any general insight anyone might have on the next stretch would be much appreciated: from Ursula Pass over to Seven Gables Lakes, then over Seven Gables Pass to Three Island Lake, and finally over Senger Pass ("Peak 11840" Pass on the HST map) and down Senger Creek.

After stopping by MTR, I plan to go up Goddard Canyon to the Davis Lakes - with a possible ascent of Mt. McGee via the south chute - and down Goddard Creek, with a possible detour into the Ionian Basin. I have wanted to explore this whole area for years.

From my understanding, the part where the Goddard Creek canyon narrows below the meadow will be tricky to navigate, and I am aware of the nature of the route in general.

From Simpson Meadow the plan is to go up Cartridge Creek and over Cartridge Pass to the JMT.

Many thanks for reading and for any feedback. Have a safe and adventurous year.