Crossing Little Kern River at Forks of the Kern early July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimhorning
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Crossing Little Kern River at Forks of the Kern early July

Post by jimhorning »

I'm researching a loop that I'd like to do in the beginning of July. I wonder if anyone knows how feasible crossing the Little Kern at the Forks of the Kern, approximately at 36.13491, -118.43689. I was up river on the Little Kern last year in early July and it was ragging; I would not have crossed it without a bridge. However, as this is somewhat a normal snowpack year I expect the river to be much tamer. Any insights? I've attached an image with the loop if you have any trail status to give as well. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Crossing Little Kern River at Forks of the Kern early July

Post by BillyBobBurro »

Well, last year was pretty exceptional in terms of snowpack and subsequent stream/river flows. I'd look up a USGS flow gauge for the main Kern (I doubt there is one dedicated to the little Kern), monitor the flows and compare to other years with 'normal' snowpacks. While I have not crossed at the Forks intersection I suspect it is not as raging as it would be a the upstream bridge. The Little and main Kern intersection is definitely lower gradient then the bridge area.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

With the caveat of not knowing the future, I think you're good to go. I've crossed the main river there as well as the Little Kern during various times of the year while fishing and I don't remember anything difficult about it. I do remember that the Little Kern was braided into a few channels so none of them were very deep. The water last year was crazy but as you can see from the Dreamflows screenshot below it's usually pretty low by July.

I guess the flooding last year might have made it weird but I'd be comfortable planning a trip with that crossing in July of this year and just plan for wet feet.

I love fishing that area so I hope that's going to be part of your trip and you let us know how it was!
Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 11.38.28 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimhorning
Topix Novice

Post by jimhorning »

Great information! Thanks limpingcrab.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

The answer will become self evident by the end of May. It looks like a normal year, so far, but a big late season snow storm - typically they occur in April if at all - can result in a lingering snowpack, and potentially affect summer stream levels. The good news is the terrain up basin has only a bit of real estate high enough to hold such snow into the summer, if at all, and that that its west side location in the range exposes it to warmer temps than the east side, so your probably good to go in any case. A big rain while you are there may raise the water level temporarily, but that would only delay a crossing by hours.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
gtw_smooth_ambler
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gtw_smooth_ambler »

You will almost certainly be fine. The crossing is just above the confluence where the LKR is very broad and shallow. There's a very clear 'ideal spot' if you take the time to find it. Sometimes a rope will be strung but it really only gets used very early in the season (may/june) when the crossing can be a bit swift.
jimhorning
Topix Novice

Post by jimhorning »

Excellent; that's good news, thanks gtw_smooth_ambler.