2 Nighter Itinerary Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mt.eo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

2 Nighter Itinerary Suggestions

Post by mt.eo »

Hi again! I'm attempting to get permits for a 2 nighter in September. I'm eyeing Big Pine Lakes & Thousand Island Lake, but I'm aware that they are some of the hardest and most popular trailheads to get a permit for. I'm curious as to what itinerary you would recommend for both of those trails. I'm also open to other trailhead suggestions of course, but preferably something south of Mammoth! My group isn't the fastest moving, and we can handle about 8 miles per day. That should add up to a total trip of 24 miles, but no problem if it's a bit more or less. We are mostly focused on good views & photography, but some good fishing can't hurt! I'm also aware of the Monday-Thursday road closure to Agnew Meadows. Any advice helps! Thank you!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2 Nighter Itinerary Suggestions

Post by balzaccom »

Sabrina Basin, South Lake into the lakes below Bishop Pass, and North Lake over Piute Pass are all great options.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
mt.eo
Topix Novice

Post by mt.eo »

Thanks balzaccom! I'll keep that in mind! I have Bishop Pass permits for July, so I'll aim for Piute Pass & the Sabrina Basin.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

If Mineral King road opens and you don't mind a west side entry, you have to go. Its a very unique place. There's lot of options too, but no matter which way you go, its steep getting out of the valley. Timber Gap and Farewell gap are the easiest, Glacier Pass, Sawtooth, and Franklin Pass are more difficult. I grew up in Bakersfield and went there all the time as a teen.

Like Balzaccom said Bishop has great options. Piute Pass is a easy pass to get over too, on a well engineered trail. The only problem is there are so many people. I went to Green Lake last year and the wife dropped me off in the parking lot at South Lake and there was no parking. Sabrina TH and North TH are the same. Good luck.

Texan
mt.eo
Topix Novice

Post by mt.eo »

Thanks Texan! I would love going to Mineral King! I really wish they would give an update on the road, though... Trying to get an Eastside permit just to lock in a trip for the dates in case it doesn't open. I've seen the Big 5 Lakes loop, but definitely not possible given our time constraints. I'll check out some trails from Mineral King, though. Thanks again!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

texan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:28 pm If Mineral King road opens and you don't mind a west side entry, you have to go. Its a very unique place. There's lot of options too, but no matter which way you go, its steep getting out of the valley. Timber Gap and Farewell gap are the easiest, Glacier Pass, Sawtooth, and Franklin Pass are more difficult. I grew up in Bakersfield and went there all the time as a teen.

Texan
Between the long slow drive and the trails around Mineral King, I think this would be tough for a two night trip. I love the area, but you need more than two nights--especially since it's going to take you an extra couple of hours to drive there and drive back.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

balzaccom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:24 am
texan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:28 pm If Mineral King road opens and you don't mind a west side entry, you have to go. Its a very unique place. There's lot of options too, but no matter which way you go, its steep getting out of the valley. Timber Gap and Farewell gap are the easiest, Glacier Pass, Sawtooth, and Franklin Pass are more difficult. I grew up in Bakersfield and went there all the time as a teen.

Texan
Between the long slow drive and the trails around Mineral King, I think this would be tough for a two night trip. I love the area, but you need more than two nights--especially since it's going to take you an extra couple of hours to drive there and drive back.
I agree to a certain extent. It depends on where you live. If you live in Fresno or Bakersfield. Its not a big deal. We used to do it all the time but we were young. I am 58 now and I wouldn't do it because of a couple things. One I go to places where I can catch decent sized fish and Mineral King isn't great for catching fish over 12 inches. Been there too many times , most fish are a lot smaller, number two it's too crowded now and you will find difficulty parking at TH, and number three for me ITS TOO STEEP for me at my age for a short trip. My whole point about suggesting Mineral King is because of the history and the unique valley you are in. You have to see it once in your lifetime. Thanks for your input.

Texan