SEKI 3-Nighter Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mt.eo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

SEKI 3-Nighter Suggestions

Post by mt.eo »

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the whole SEKI permit process, and I have been trying to get permits to backpack to Hamilton Lake from Crescent Meadow, but the HST permits are nearly impossible to get. I'm going to continue trying for the next few days, but I was curious if anyone had any alternatives. I'm looking for something around 35 miles for a 3 night trip. Since the trip is in August, high elevations are preferred, but any suggestions help!
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI 3-Nighter Suggestions

Post by FrankPS »

I think you could start from Wolverton as an alternate to Crescent Meadow.
mt.eo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mt.eo »

FrankPS wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:09 pm I think you could start from Wolverton as an alternate to Crescent Meadow.
Thanks for the reply! What trailhead permit would I try to secure in that case? I'm seeing Alta is ineligible for HST travel.
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigTubs »

There's the Lakes Trail and Lakes Trail Pass-through (via Wolverton), which are walk-up permits, and would require cross-country to end up at Hamilton.

Alternatively, you could go in via Sugarloaf and Elizabeth Pass down to the HST, but that would put you in at higher mileage. Could add a night!
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted

Post by FrankPS »

30 permits a day are issued for the HST. 20 of those are reservable. You could show up the day before to get one of the 10 remaining walk-up permits. Be at the visitor center where the permits are issued right at 1 PM (or is it 3 PM?) to get your HST walk-up permit.

You would likely get the permit if you are there right when they start issuing (the day before), but you should have a backup plan.

Call SEKI wilderness office to confirm all of the above!
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

given we're talking HST here, you might want to show up a couple of hours before issuance time, bring a chair, your lunch, and a book. ask the folks already in line (if any) how many spots they're getting. if the total is 10 or more, go to plan B. or...ask wilderness office if no-shows the next day are issued at a certain time the next day (such is/was the case at Tuolumne Meadows), go back to your car/campsite, and spend the rest of the day praying.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

FrankPS -
What you’re suggesting isn’t really how it works these days. The 10 “walk-in” allotment is released to reserve 14 days before a particular start date; there will undoubtedly be zero spots available if you walk up (in person) the day before. If there are no-shows (on your desired start date), then I think SEKI will release them after the permit pickup deadline time.
For Inyo NF, it’s worse; as they switched to a “print your permit” system (instead of picking up in person), the “no show” slots (for high-demand trailheads) won’t even be available for a desk ranger to hand out … unless the person who reserved it didn’t bother to print it at home (somehow Rec.gov system knows whether it was printed or not). In that case, I think it goes back into the queue for an in-person walk-in issuance.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted

Post by FrankPS »

grampy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:04 pm FrankPS -
What you’re suggesting isn’t really how it works these days. The 10 “walk-in” allotment is released to reserve 14 days before a particular start date; there will undoubtedly be zero spots available if you walk up (in person) the day before. If there are no-shows (on your desired start date), then I think SEKI will release them after the permit pickup deadline time.
For Inyo NF, it’s worse; as they switched to a “print your permit” system (instead of picking up in person), the “no show” slots (for high-demand trailheads) won’t even be available for a desk ranger to hand out … unless the person who reserved it didn’t bother to print it at home (somehow Rec.gov system knows whether it was printed or not). In that case, I think it goes back into the queue for an in-person walk-in issuance.
At Cedar Grove, two or three years ago, the "walk-up" permits were actually walkup. I am quite familiar with the online process, especially concerning Inyo NF. I was surprised that the walk-up permits at Road's End were still walk-up (and not online).

As I said above, it would be good to call the SEKI wilderness office to confirm how the walk-up permits are handled.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

On recreation.gov, the Inyo permits and the SEKI permits are described differently:

For Inyo: 40% of spaces are released 2 weeks in advance, on the same day of the week (example entry date of Tuesday July 4 opens on Tuesday June 20)

For SEKI: A portion of the quota is available first-come, first-served for walk-ups at the permit issuing station.

It looks like FrankPS is correct; or maybe recreation.gov is out of date.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

I was wrong; I hadn’t read the SEKI walk-in policy in quite a while.

I apologize for the misinformation.