Inyo permits "W" - change to permitting process?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bethmitchell
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Inyo permits "W" - change to permitting process?

Post by bethmitchell »

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to do North to South Lake trip this September so was looking up details for booking the Inyo permit when it opens up in March.

For dates already within the 6 month window, both trailheads for that route have a W on every single day with a note that says you can't reserve the permits in advance; you have to do it in person at the ranger station. A lot of the trailheads have a W on some but not all dates. Some trailheads have 0s on some days and Ws on other days. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Inyo permits "W" - change to permitting process?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"W" means all reserved permits are gone. Personally I like to get my permits in person at the ranger station. They are first-come so get there early so there are not a lot of people ahead of you. You can also get them at ANY Inyo ranger station. Since I drive from Sacramento, it works out perfectly to reach the Mono Lake RS just in time for the 11:00AM release of permits. I have not checked this year's rules, but that is how it used to work.

It has been my experience that there always are cancellations and no-shows. The ones who cancel three days or more ahead go back out on the reservation system. The ones who simply do not show up, or a group shows up with less people than permitted, become first-come. Personally, I am thrilled if this is what is being done this year!

If you keep checking Reserve.gov you are likely to find cancelled permits popping up now and then.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

There is also the two-weeks out possibility. I've used this a couple of times.
"W" means 60% of spaces were posted and sold out, 40% of spaces remain but are not yet released

40% of spaces are released 2 weeks in advance, on the same day of the week (example entry date of Tuesday July 4 opens on Tuesday June 20)
Also if you're going solo, as WD suggested, keep checking for cancellations since larger groups sometimes have one or two people drop out. I've also been able to get a permit this way.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
bethmitchell
Topix Novice

Post by bethmitchell »

Thanks everyone. The thing I'm confused about is why some dates show 0 and some show W.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Are the "0" dates for trailheads in the Devil's Postpile area? The shuttle to Devil's Postpile will not be running during the week this year while they are repairing the road. Therefore, no permits will be issued during the week for those trailheads. Those trailheads show "0" for those weekday dates.
bethmitchell
Topix Novice

Post by bethmitchell »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:57 am Are the "0" dates for trailheads in the Devil's Postpile area? The shuttle to Devil's Postpile will not be running during the week this year while they are repairing the road. Therefore, no permits will be issued during the week for those trailheads. Those trailheads show "0" for those weekday dates.

OHHHHHHHH yes that is definitely it. Ws are for when we're in the booking window but the spots are booked. It looks like 0s are for when they aren't issuing permits at all OR you're looking at a date more than 6 months out.

I thought maybe it was some weird change happening with the permit reservation process. THANK YOU for solving this mystery for me!
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

LMBSGV wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:11 pm There is also the two-weeks out possibility. I've used this a couple of times.
"W" means 60% of spaces were posted and sold out, 40% of spaces remain but are not yet released

40% of spaces are released 2 weeks in advance, on the same day of the week (example entry date of Tuesday July 4 opens on Tuesday June 20)
Also if you're going solo, as WD suggested, keep checking for cancellations since larger groups sometimes have one or two people drop out. I've also been able to get a permit this way.
+1 on the 2weeks out possibility. I can't remember if they're released at 7am, 8am, or 9am, but i believe it says it on the site.

IIRC not all the districts use this process, but i'm pretty sure that Sierra NF and Inyo NF permits are allocated in this 60% 6 months out, 40% 2 weeks out manner.