Need suggestions for Replacing Favorite Tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fgaipa
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Need suggestions for Replacing Favorite Tent

Post by fgaipa »

For the past couple of weeks, I've been searching to replace the Big Sky tent that I've worn out over the past ten years. Though I'm no longer sure of the model name, my Big Sky a freestanding, dome-shaped (poles make a X) tent, single-wall (i.e. no fly), two-door. Today it weighs 2.44 lbs. including the footprint, stuff sacks, polls, and pegs. That's despite having to replace the original lighter poles after one failed.

The new poles eventually started breaking pole loops and I've abused the tent bottom by going without the footprint until the tent's life is over now. But I'm used to it. Though I seldom hit rain, it kept me dry when in downpours. In 32 years of mountaineering, I've used only one other tent (long forgotten) and two or three poled bivy sacks.

Something like nine out of ten campsites, I'm above the timberline. Even when there's soil, it's a inch or two then, granite. So, I feel I need true freestanding.

So, what I'm looking for is max. 2.44 lbs. including footprint; single-wall; two-door; two person; true freestanding. And NO hiking poles. I don't use them. Even in the fall, I use my iceaxe like a cane. I hike alone, but like the two-person space and doors.

A few days ago, I thought I'd found the perfect tent. It met all those criteria, yet differed from my Big Sky in one aspect I thought was great: its two poles were sleeved for their entire length, so zero sag. Right after I watched a YouTube review, a power outage shut me down! I hadn't recorded the tent's name or manufacturer and haven't been able to search back to it. It was "sold out", but I'm hoping someone here can point me back to that so that I can inquire.

Too many of the tents I've looked at are "semi-freestanding." I'm wondering how you Big Agnes users set up on granite? Ditto the Double Rainbow LI on granite (cool-looking and well reviewed, but if only it had two of that one sleeved poles)? I've also looked at
Zpacks Free Duo it's sold out and their freestand kit for the other models looks hassle-ish, I'm not sure why.

Best I can find at Big Sky now is a Revolution 1.5P. But there's no Dyneema version, so even without the footprint it's a half a pound heavier than my old tent.

So... suggestions? Especially if anyone recognized that cross-sleeved-pole tent whose page I lost to the power outage.

Thanks ahead of time.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need suggestions for Replacing Favorite Tent

Post by Harlen »

Hi fgaipa,

I wonder if you had been looking at one of the lightweight Tarptents? I'll link a Gearlab review of one version of their 2-person, free?/semi-freestanding tents. I heard such good things about the tent and the company that I bought one for us. Semi-freestanding suits me fine, because I am almost always in pretty rocky places, so I can use rocks attached to para cord for securing the tent. It looks like the tent pole is indeed held in a continuous sleeve; that's why I thought this might be the tent you found then lost. I hope this helps, fgaipa. Good luck, Ian.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... le-rainbow
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hello Again fgaipa,

I searched out a pretty extensive HST post titled: "Tent Questions," and here it is: viewtopic.php?t=22890&hilit=Tent+Questions.

Wandering Daisy originally was also looking for a free standing tent, so you'll likely find some good information in this post. E.g. this sort of thing:

mschnaidt wrote: ↑Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:52 am
I prefer a double wall tent but rayfound likes his single wall. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I mean in a perfect world i would PREFER double wall too - it wasn't available when I got my Double Rainbow years ago.

If I was buying a Double Rainbow again, I would be tempted to spring for the extra $90 and 3oz and get the DW version. Though if trying to stick close on budget, for Sierra use, I think the single wall works just fine - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Sure, you get some condensation but its never been so bad that I have concerns about my down bag or anything.

That said, the one I would REALLY want is the single wall LI (DCF) version that drops to 28oz for a 2 person tent, or 24oz for a solo - though the price roughly doubles, sadly.
How about the Copper Spur fgaipa?
We've had pretty good luck with other Big Agnes tents, though the zippers are flimsy. Good luck.
fgaipa
Topix Novice

Post by fgaipa »

Thanks, both. I have until mid or late June. I'd already read the Tent+Questions topic. Copper Spur is 3+ lbs. while the out-stock Free Duo is 2.006 lbs. I'm really hoping to find that sleeved-pole tent with similar weight and features that I mentioned in my original post. Usually I'm great a retracing internet steps, so thought I'd find it, but I haven't. The Double Rainbow looks like it need four corner stakes to standup. I've never achieved tautness putting rocks on top of stakes.

fg
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

fgaipa wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:35 pm I've never achieved tautness putting rocks on top of stakes.
It can be done! I camp at and above tree line most of the time. I also camp in the high desert, where the "soil" doesn't hold a stake well against the wind. Both of these rock anchor techniques work, you just need a rock with enough mass, in the case of anchoring utilizing a single rock, or that rock (or a tree limb) have sufficient surface contacting a pile of smaller stones whose aggregate mass holds things in place. First set the lines, then draw taut using a taut hitch or other knot of your choosing.
tent stake anchor.jpg
Cairn tent anchor.jpg
FWIW: I used to be in the free standing tent camp (no pun intended) largely for the reasons you state. But at some point I decided to go with a pyramid tarp. I consider this change as one of my best gear choice. I've anchored in in high winds using the aforementioned techniques. No problemo! Many of the pyramid tarps have BIG head room, and a large 2P pyramid tarp weighs less than two pounds, including lots of guy lines, pegs and ground cloth. The only trade offs of pyramid tarps:
  • Sometimes you need to get creative when camping where flat ground is limited, due to the large footprint of these shelters. But I've always made it work.
  • The sides of the tarp slope to the center peak; therefore entering and exiting the shelter exposes the interior to the elements. There are fixes for this also - I pack a UL umbrella that also gives me shade when hiking in the hot sun.
Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I like soloing with friends.
fgaipa
Topix Novice

Post by fgaipa »

Thanks. It's partly a matter of knowing myself. I nearly always hike until the final 30 minutes before dark, sometimes finishing after dark, so that camping needs to be quick and rote. I'm probably in my final ten years of climbing. Habits are hard to break.

fg
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gogd, interesting that we both use commonly use rocks, but with different methods. I swear by any good rock technique ever since a sleet-filled wind blew the stakes of my tarp-tent out of the ground and I got soaked! Stakes are especially weak in coarse granite sand. Well-placed rocks, as you know, are bomb-proof. I always girth-hitch a small, preferably wedge-shaped rock, and then place a giant rock on it in such a way to stretch the cord tight. I wonder if you too have the morning challenge of replacing the giant rocks back where they came from? That's the only down side--damage to insect habitat.

You should try it fgaipa, it's good fun and excercise, you old coot. ;)
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Do you recall the color scheme of the tent? Tent makers are often recognized by their colors so that could narrow the search considerably. Dedicated single wall tent or one that can be pitched in "fly only" mode? Most freestanding tents can be pitched without the inner tent making for better headroom.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
fgaipa
Topix Novice

Post by fgaipa »

No. I wish I could remember. It had to be a small maker since I'm having such a hard time returning to it. I was a retired librarian so have some search skill. Part of the problem is Google (or is Microsoft kibitzing?) throws so up so much shopping assistance that it's difficult to do a Boolean. The tent had a center-crossed two poles, one end to each corner. Two vestibules, etc. The most distinctive thing was that the two poles were sleeved rather than passing through loops. So the dome was perfect, zero sag, no loops to fail. It was single-wall, no fly. The YouTube reviewer liked it.

fg
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Though I don’t have a tent recommendation, I can also vouch that a tent can remain taut using rocks. But obviously, if you like the ability to pick up your tent and reposition after setting it up, you will still need a free-standing tent.

I also use Harlan’s method of securing the guy line to a small rock and then placing a large rock over the guy line. I actually tie a second guy line extension to the original guy line to avoid damaging the original with the rock. If I am using stakes, I use the original guy line. (A second benefit is I can just pull up on the unused second guy line and the stake comes up easily) The tent stays taut especially if the big rock is big enough. For more tautness, just nudge the rock a bit.

But in addition to the downside of having to place all the rocks back, there is also a downside of not knowing what you might find under the rock when you first pick up it up. Most memorable for me was a scorpion.

Here is a cropped photo of my setup. The yellow guy line is the original and I added the orange guy line, secured it to a small rock and placed behind a larger rock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.