Need suggestions for Replacing Favorite Tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Need suggestions for Replacing Favorite Tent

Post by Rockyroad »

I forgot to mention, to secure the larger rock from moving, you can also wedge a small rock under it (blue in the example)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fgaipa
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fgaipa »

In response to Freestone about the sleeved-pole tent's color, on deeper reflection it was on the cool side of the spectrum. NOT red, yellow, or orange. More likely gray, gray-blue, gray-green.

fg
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

One other thing to consider: A free standing tent does not preclude the need to anchor the tent soundly to terra firma. High wind will easily blow away a tent, even one with all of your gear inside.
Rockyroad wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:26 pm I forgot to mention, to secure the larger rock from moving, you can also wedge a small rock under it (blue in the example)
That's not a tent guy out diagram, That's a famous painting hanging in the Getty Museum, by Pablo Pistachio. (he was areal nut!) I like routing the line over the blue rock, it requires the big rock get lifted over the blue one in order to be dislodged.
Harlen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:56 pm I wonder if you too have the morning challenge of replacing the giant rocks back where they came from? That's the only down side--damage to insect habitat.
At least in the morning I am well rested. I think gathering the rocks at the end of a day hiking is more hassle as I am bushed at that point. I try to source rocks whose displacement is of no consequence to what lies beneath them; however that often is not the case, so yea... But at least the workout gets the coffee circulating in my blood.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I would assume you checked your browser history and the YT video you were watching wasn't listed due to the blackout. YouTube also has a history option under "You". You might get lucky.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

fgaipa wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:25 pm No. I wish I could remember. It had to be a small maker since I'm having such a hard time returning to it. I was a retired librarian so have some search skill. Part of the problem is Google (or is Microsoft kibitzing?) throws so up so much shopping assistance that it's difficult to do a Boolean. The tent had a center-crossed two poles, one end to each corner. Two vestibules, etc. The most distinctive thing was that the two poles were sleeved rather than passing through loops. So the dome was perfect, zero sag, no loops to fail. It was single-wall, no fly. The YouTube reviewer liked it.

fg
When I'm trying to find something that I know I looked at previously, in my browser I open the 'History' and then search that.

I know you want a freestanding tent, but once you get the hang of using rocks as anchors it becomes second nature. If I use stakes I also use rocks 100% of the time to anchor them.
_DSC0658.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------------
Dave | flickr
fgaipa
Topix Novice

Post by fgaipa »

:) I found it (!!!) tonight with a search on "sleeved-pole 2P tent".

https://vargooutdoors.com/collections/tents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FasJl2CxJ-8

Sold out and a little heavier at 2lbs 10 oz than I remembered, but I mean to call them tomorrow.

Thanks, all. I still wouldn't mind hearing about similar or lighter sleeved-pole dome tents.

fg
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

@fgaipa, Nice work relocating the fine looking Varga tents. I checked Varga's titanium pots and pans and flasks, and I blanched at the prices. I'd rather spend our hard-earned money on the contents of the flask-- my patented, cure-all elixer: 6 oz. Jameson Whiskey, 8 oz Gran Marnier Brandy. I will continue to pack them in several small Rose's Lime plastic bottles.

Re the VargaTent, I see in the Specs that it's 57" x 86", with a peak height of 43". I envy the greater width, which would fit our two dogs better than the tiny, tapered width of our Big Agnes Fly Creek. The Tarptent DW is 50" wide by 88" long, and that will be nice-- still have yet to use it. I believe ours is slightly lighter, at 38.35 oz, to the Varga's 42-44 oz.
Also, I checked the prices, and find that the Tarptent Rainbow DW has gone down in price from $389.00, to just $299.00; so if anyone else is in the market for a good tent, that's a great price. (Note that you may needto pay ~35. extra for their seam sealing work, or DIY.

p.s. @SirBC, That looks like a very nice campsite there by the glacier-- where is it?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

Harlen wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:10 pm
p.s. @SirBC, That looks like a very nice campsite there by the glacier-- where is it?
This was in the Coast Mountains in British Columbia, about 12 hours north of Vancouver.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

SirBC says:
This was in the Coast Mountains in British Columbia, about 12 hours north of Vancouver.
So, that might be somewhere in here:

100_2727.jpg

100_2570.jpg
Sadly, I've only experienced those mountains from the air. These photos were taken on a flight from Seattle to Ketchikan, AK., last spring. That's quite an icefield in the first photo; can you tell us what we're seeing SirBC?

*Sorry for the seque away from your tent search fgaipa. As a way back to your quest, where would you be planning to live in your new tent? Where might be your first trip with it? Good luck, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fgaipa
Topix Novice

Post by fgaipa »

Always the same for me. One spring trip, one fall trip. Sequoia/Kings Canyon/John Muir Wilderness. Where exactly will depend on the snowpack. I haven't done a new summit for three or four years, as I begin to age out, but might return to Split Mountain this fall. Big view for little effort.

fg