Sierra Day Hikes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Day Hikes

Post by paul »

Yes I meant 4, sorry. Sequoias down low and magnificent red firs higher up.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Given that the lodging is the one thing you need to lock in ahead of time, the question may be how long can you wait to reserve a room? If you could wait until April you would have a much better idea of the snowpack, which could clarify where you want to go. If you need to lock in right away, then pick a spot that will have some good hikes whether there is lots of snow left or a little.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

paul wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:25 pm Driving to the east side is not much longer with Tioga closed from most of northern california (unless you are saying that you already have plans to go to Yosemite valley and would be starting from there).
Yes, that was my point that if we go to Yosemite Valley with Tioga closed, we'll probably want to stay on the west side (which I am not familiar with), or we will need to stick to the east side and cut out Yosemite Valley.

I never thought about hikes near Hwy 50 before, but now I'm leaning towards that area, as it would also offer some wine tasting.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:50 am I never thought about hikes near Hwy 50 before, but now I'm leaning towards that area, as it would also offer some wine tasting.
There are also wine tasting prospects along CA88 and 4. There are nice craft beer options associated with the northernmost Sierra--including Quintopia in Quincy, Brewing Lair of the Lost Sierra in Blairsden, and Moonraker and Knee Deep in Auburn (handy for Grouse Ridge operations).

Regarding, Paul's lodging question, one can usually find something less than a month in advance and in many cases. I would guess west flank Yosemite lodging books much further in advance, although I did see vacancies in Groveland up to the night before my departure for my long early June dayhike out of Hetch Hetchy; I had checked the lodging situation just in case I was too tired to drive all the way back to the Bay Area. That situation was probably anomalous, however, because the road was closed to Yosemite Valley (ie you could only get into Yosemite Valley via 140 and 41) then, so I think the lodging demand was way down. I returned to that area in early November and also noticed vacancies in Groveland, but although the road to the Valley was open by then, it was November.

On the 3-night-stay (2 nights in Carson City, 1 in Quincy) I did with Judy and Dawn July 1-4 of last year (probably doable late May/early June this year) to Round L. near Luther Pass, Poore Lake, E of Sonora Pass, and Lakes Basin/Lost Sierra area, we booked our rooms two weeks before the trip.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

If you're interested wine tasting, I would recommend two areas (and this is actually something I do for a living--I'll be judging the wine competitions in both Amador and Calaveras Counties this year)

The area around Plymouth off Highway 50--take Highway 16 east to get here on the way to the high country--has some really wonderful wines: Scott Harvey, Terre Rouge, Runquist, etc.) Here's a link to all that fun: https://amadorwine.com/amador-county-wineries/

And if you go up Highway 4, then the spot is Murphys, where you can tasting the whole gamut at Ironstone and visit more than 20 tasting rooms in Murphys itself.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What are the priorities 1) day-hikes or 2) night accommodations. Do you want to remain in a wilderness/woodsy/scenic type environment at night but with civilized showers/beds/etc.? Or do the night accommodations really matter? Have you thought about renting a trailer? Obviously, the best of both worlds would be great. As for day-hikes do you want solitude or willing to share with many others?

I am quite partial to Bishop. You get drop-dead scenery within the first mile. Owens Gorge is a good low-elevation day-hike. If willing to walk on a bit of snow, east side hikes South Lake or North Lake to Piute Lake, short hike around Convict Lake is nice. The hike up to the Stone House is scenic. Third Lake is amazing, but a bit of travel before you hit the real scenic stuff. There is a lodge- Glacier Lodge? I think. People do Whitney in a day, so going just to Trail Camp and back is very scenic but very strenuous, but I think you need a day permit.

Yosemite day-hikes are wonderful, if willing to share the trail with lots of people. If in really good shape: the 20-mile north rim traverse, or Happy Isles-Mist Trail-Panorama-Four Mile back to valley, with bus shuttle. If the Yosemite busses are running up to Glacier Point, then Glacier Point to the valley is all downhill. There also is a 12-mile Valley Loop that is good if you stay on the trails and avoid the walkways next the roads. The big problem with Yosemite is where to stay and the fact that you will have to get a day-permit to get in.

Desolation has tons of day-hikes but there will be a bit of lingering snow. Tahoe is a great base camp- plenty of motels and short-term rentals. Desolation trails get a bit crowded. There are a lot of very serious trail runners in Tahoe- they do amazing day runs. Wildflowers may be popping up in June. I think Desolation is best early season and worth the putting up with some snow.

I hesitate to recommend Emigrant because other than Kennedy Meadows loops you have to walk quite a distance before you get to the good stuff. Kennedy Lake is a great day-hike. Not much from Crabtree TH.

Rock Creek is good but depends on an early melt. I think there is a lodge. Not that far if you stay in Mammoth Lakes or Bishop. Rock Creek, Mc Gee Creek, and Convict Lake are a set of day-hikes. My daughter and family stayed in Mammoth Lakes last year early season and loved it, but lodging was expensive.
Tom Perkins
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Tom Perkins »

If you stay in Bridgeport, Green Lake and either East Lake or West Lake are good options; in fact, you can make it up to Par Value lakes and back above West Lake on a good day. There are also good day hikes North and South of Carson Pass on Highway 88, or you could sneak in to the headwaters of the Carson River above Wolf Creek meadows on the High Trail, which is accessed by way of Highway 4 from the East side, above Markleeville. The Carson Pass area gets crowded during the summer, but weekdays or early it is fine.