Advice for taking my 15 year old to SEKI

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice for taking my 15 year old to SEKI

Post by wsp_scott »

FrankPS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:41 am
wsp_scott wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:18 pm I would hope to get a walkup permit for the Lakes Trail and stay at Emerald or Pear Lake for the first night and then move up to the Tablelands. Or permits for the Alta Trail look like they aren't getting scooped up, so first night at Alta Meadows and then move up.
Why a walkup permit and not a reserved one? Is it too far in advance to plan the trip?
I thought I replied to this, but I don't see it now. Weird.
Anyway, both the Lakes trail and the Lakes Pass through show as walkup only on Recreation.gov, don't know if this is new or not. I'd definitely prefer to have a reservation since my daughter will be with me.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Good idea about waiting for permits, I can tolerate bugs, but I don't like them and I would like my daughter to want to do this again.

I'm leaning to the Tablelands trip as that will also let us see the sequoia the day before we start our trip.
I'll keep Dinkey Lakes and Humphrey's basin as possibilities. And I guess Emigrant can be a backup since there aren't trail quotas.

Obviously lots can change, but it is looking like a low snow year, maybe we will get lucky with the 2nd week of July and no bugs :)
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I haven't replied to this one yet, but I wanted to add to the chorus of replies regarding the fact you have lots of options the length of the Sierra, including the East Side. I have been over the Tablelands twice and I enjoyed it but on those trips I also went further to more alpine scenery (Glacier Divide/Triple Divide area etc.). The north edge of the Tablelands in the Big Bird-Ferguson Creek areas is quite nice and suitably alpine, but things get better (for more alpine scenery and setting) further east and higher. That having been said, it's certainly one option, and the Tablelands are one of the places in the Sierra most likely to have a breeze (and thus lower mosquito potential than most).

The one thing about going into Bear Basin from the west is the long approach hike. In contrast you can get into very alpine surroundings faster taking the ferry across Lake Edison and heading up either fork of Mono Creek, including the option of going over Goodale Pass or heading up the north fork to Mott, Bighorn and Rosy Finch Lakes with two different off trail pass options to take you north to the Fish Creek side if you want to.

Even though it's a bit more driving to go over Tioga or Sonora Passes to get to the East Side I think the extra driving time is offset by the fact that you can start your hike right from the car in a very alpine setting. From North to South, I think you have nice options out of Green Creek and especially Virginia Lakes, reached from Bridgeport. You have some options out of the highest trailhead (Little Lakes Valley) but hikes are a bit limited in there unless you head over Mono Pass. Pine Creek is moderately punishing out the gate but very scenic. North Lake and Piute Pass give you unlimited options in the Humphreys Basin-Glacier Divide area with a fairly easy haul over Piute Pass.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip. I have enjoyed hiking with my daughter since we did our first father-daughter trip in 2017 when she was just short of her 12th birthday (she had done family backpack trips before that) to the Meeks Creek area of Desolation Wilderness. Things rapidly escalated from there to challenging off trail trips, beginning in 2018 with a 5-day loop trip out of Edison, as she became my no.1 backpacking partner.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

I've taken my now ten year old daughter on a few trips through the Tablelands. Our circumstances were a little unique in that a family friend was housed at the ranger station, so we were able to use that as a base camp. Hiking up the Marble Fork drainage from the ranger station is a gorgeous hike with numerous swimming/fishing holes, and is a pretty mellow hike to do with young ones.

I'd also recommend instead of spending the duration of your trip in the Tablelands, maybe spending a few days in the front country to get acclimated. There's tons of great camping off Big Meadow Road between Sequoia and Kings, with both actual campgrounds and dispersed camping being options in the area. No advanced reservations are required or necessary.