San Joaquin River Bridge?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

San Joaquin River Bridge?

Post by commonloon »

Happy Holidays all!

I was just wondering if anyone knows if anything more happened before winter? i.e. what is SEKI's (right?) plan?

I assume it wasn't replaced. It seems that with the up and over route and the fact that you can cross with lower flows, it doesn't theoretically prevent JMT or PCT hikers making their way north or south. However, it does seem like it served a practical purpose: keeping those with bad judgement from attempting the crossing during high flows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Re: San Joaquin River Bridge?

Post by dapperdave »

I don't have first hand experience, but I met PCT thru hikers in October who told me that Muir trail ranch had constructed a narrow wooden bridge.

No idea if this is true, or whether it would survive a winter anyway.

Dave
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

The bridge was dismantled to prevent hikers from crossing it. Go to the 40:46 point in the following video to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvbM0uqv3kw
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think it does impact PCT hikers because they are in that area during peak flows some years. I would be surprised if it is not replaced, but likely will take some time given all the more critical damage that is eating up budgets.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

@dapperdave That would be interesting. Maybe something narrower would be less prone to snow load damage. But I think they would have to have sign off from SEKI.

@Turbohike Yip, I took the photo above when they were beginning that process/read about it. Thx

@WanderingDaisy Agree that it is a hazard for PCTers. The up and over detour is so nice! It's shame it is so difficult to get them off the actual trail for a couple of miles. Maybe if someone early did it 1st and put their route on FarOut. LoL.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

What exactly is the "up and over" detour?
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Up and over detour is described in the link below... scroll down towards the end of the article and look for the phrase "McClure Meadow to the damaged bridge via south side Glacier Divide".

https://jmtwilderness.org/2023-bridge-c ... te-routes/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Perhaps PCT hikers could do one of those detours, but I cannot see any a very good idea for the average JMT hiker. Particularly N-S hikers who have full packs from resupply at Muir Ranch. A re-built bridge seems the only long-term reasonable answer. A few of the options that require leaving and re-entering the wilderness may be short-term reasonable if the permit system were adjusted to allow this without impacting trailhead quotas for non-JMT/PCT hikers.

A unique alternative would be a cable/bucket crossing. I have seen a few- such as the one across the Kings River below Blackcap Basin. These are quite common in Canada. The main drawback is that these are not very good for heavily used crossings.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Well, you may be right about JMT hikers. The wave of JMT hikers being there later in the season when the flows are low may help. I do think the volume of traffic would preclude a cable/bucket system.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Per SEKI at https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm : "12/12/2023 - ... The South Fork San Joaquin River Bridge (PCT mile 854.5) along the PCT/JMT in the north of Kings Canyon was severely damaged by winter storms and has been removed. Construction is expected to start in 2024."

Last August or September, did anyone continue along the east side of the San Joaquin and wade Evolution Creek near the San Joaquin? That is less than 3/4 mile x-country and looks straight forward in Google Earth. Way easier than other suggested detours AFAIK. That's my plan for this August if the bridge has not been replaced yet.