Easy two night backpacking trip w/off-trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Easy two night backpacking trip w/off-trail?

Post by OutdoorRandy »

Perhaps consider going to Bull Lake. It’s just before Long Lake on the trail to Chocolate Lakes. It’s a beautiful lake with some nice camping spots. It’s a short hike. From there you could explore the other Chocolate Lakes or head back to the Bishop Pass trail and explore that area.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When I considered this trip two years ago Treasure Lakes was an entirely separate permit. Not sure what it is now. One way to get around this is for one of you to get a permit to Treasure Lakes and the other to Bishop Lake basin. This is probably considered "gaming the system" and you may not feel comfortable with that.

If there is no snow blocking Bishop Pass you could do one night at a lake in the basin, such as Saddleback Lake, then over to Dusy Basin next day-short off trail to the upper lakes below Isocsceles Peak, then out the next day.

There certainly is plenty to do and see in the basin east of Bishop Pass for two nights, particularly if you fish. It is popular and would be fairly crowded with day-hikers.

Another location that is a good 2-night trip is base camp at Third Lake or Fifth Lake and day hike to the upper lakes as well as Sam Mack Meadow. I think permits are a bit hard to get. No passes to go over, but there is a bit of elevation gain. Plenty of places to camp first night if you do not make it all the way to Thrid Lake (which I think is the most scenic camping). There are a few good trip reports about this area you may want to read.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

I agree with @ Balzacom and @ Wandering Daisy , the upper basin of South Fork Bishop Creek is more than enough to keep you occupied for your planned trip. If you are able to get up to Bishop Pass, continue until you reach the trail sign, then head due north to the rim of the Sierra Crest, the view looking onto the upper South Fork head waters closes the deal! If you guys still have a little bit left in the tank when you reach Long Lake I highly recommend committing to the nominal effort it take to make Ruwau Lake your destiny. Relatively few people make it there and the lake with its close up backdrop of the Inconsolable Range are awesome. The upper basin is very large, with plenty of day hike options, on trail, as well as XC. Margret Lake is a nice waypoint on the XC route to the Pass above Treasure Lakes. This route and the Bishop Pass walk are both perfect options for taking up the better part of a day activity period.
Bishop Pass - view looking north resized.jpg
Above: Looking north from Bishop Pass to the upper basin headwaters of South Fork Bishop Creek. To provide scale: Long Lake is a half mile long; it is the lake on the distant edge of the upper basin. Certainly there is enough in this basin to keep you busy!

The reference Wandering Daisy makes, regarding Third and Fifth Lakes, describes the North Fork, Big Pine Creek Trail, which is the next major watershed basin east of the Bishop Creek watershed. The trailhead is close to Glacier Lodge, a quaint, albeit rustic resort. I find NF Big Pine Creek to be one of the most scenic venues in the entire Sierra, but it is more physically demanding than the Bishop Pass trial to reach good camping destinies. There is a XC route to a broad plateau just north of Cloud Ripper, assessable via the pass between Seventh Lake and Thunder and Lightning Lake. There are gobsmacking vistas into three separate watersheds from that overlook. The view into the upper SF Bishop Creek is among the very best for the effort required, anywhere in the Sierra. The route is not technical, but is physically demanding due to steepness and destiny elevation at a bit over 13K'.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I like soloing with friends.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

There is so much good info here. Thanks, everyone.

Ed, do you mean “a bit over 12k’ “ in your last line? Also thank you for clarifying what Wandering Daisy meant. I knew I had heard of those lakes but couldn’t think of where they were at. I have not entered on the Big Pine Creek Trail yet.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Any one of the forks on Bishop Creek have great options for a short base camp and to do a little cross country. My favorite short 2 day trip is to camp at Blue Lake, Dingleberry, or even Hungry Packer, then the next day go cross country to Echo, but that's because I fish. If I was a first time thing I would go and camp at Long Lake on the opposite side of the main trail, visit Ruwau, and walk around Long Lake. Great place to go and if you go on the other side on Long Lake off main trail the foot traffic is a lot less and you can get a little solitude. Or go to Green Lake above Parchers but take the trail from South lake. There are good rainbows in it. Plus you might have the whole lake to yourself.

Texan
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

Piute Pass is 4.5 miles to the top, granted it's up up up. But when you get to the top you get a great view, and Humphrey's Basin is your oyster. Humphrey's Basin is the easiest place I know of to get off the trail and see lots of cool stuff. I don't know about Piute Pass in the snow, but there is a good trail there so it's not like snow on a gnarly cross-country pass.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

I love Humphreys Basin. I feel like that’s a place I would rather go either solo or with someone else who is down for a few more miles per day. I might have a different friend who fits that category and maybe I’ll make a second this summer and hit Humphreys on that one.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Mathewkphx,
We wish you luck in this new adventure for your friend. I wanted to offer the suggestion of Rock Creek/"Little lakes Valley." Although it begins high (~ 10,000'), the scenery is so outstanding, and there are a lot of off-trail, and quieter areas when you get deep into the basin. It is a fine place to gaze up at stunning mountains, and levelish ground for ease of travel. There is a general lack of forest, but trees enough to find a camp in their shade.

Ruby Lake is one of the beautiful day trip spots, and I added a picture from the center of the basin to show the trees, and the great view of Bear Creek Spire. Hope it goes well Matthew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Thanks, Harlen! I’ve never looked at this spot before. The flat trail is a great idea. Thanks again and happy new year!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Since you hike in the Arizona desert, if your partner has not had experience with mosquitoes, perhaps avoid them- either go early or after the peak. If this year ends up a low-snow year, mosquitoes may be a non-issue. Keep an eye on our "conditions" mosquito reports. Rock Creek is very busy with day-hikers and dogs. You can usually avoid people camping but may have crowded trails. This really does not bother me as long as I do not go in expecting a lot of solitude on the trail. Your partner may actually like it.

What about two nights in a location at your 6-mile limit, then lots of day-hiking? That for me is perfect for a shorter duration trip.

Are you driving or flying? Although you are flexible now, will you be nearer the travel date? I am only asking this because I have found it not too difficult to change reservations in case it turns out your original dates fall in the thick of bugs or forecast storms. Sometimes it is nice to have a car-camping Plan B and the east side of the Sierra is really good for that. I have never had a bad trip along 395.