TR: Sabrina Basin October 18-20, 2023 (1st time solo trip)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Malice
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Sabrina Basin October 18-20, 2023 (1st time solo trip)

Post by Malice »

About me: I'm a first-time poster, frequent lurker! Forgive me for writing this post 2 months post trip but I'm happy to be getting it done. My 3 day, 2 night trip was my first time doing a solo backpack. I'm a woman in my mid-40s and started backpacking a few years ago. I do a few backpacking trips a year. My trips are on trail, although I've done some cross-country with the Sierra Club. I chose the Lake Sabrina trailhead as my starting point because I've gone up to Blue Lake as a day hike so it's familiar. I'm hoping this TR helps other newbies feel some confidence about going out on their own.

I had some time off in October from work so I kept an eye out on the weather and chose a few days where the lows were expected to be above freezing. The permits were easy to get, I decided to take my trip on a Tuesday and I was on trail the next day.

Day 1: Luckily for me, my mom lives in Bishop. She walked me halfway to Blue Lake. I believe it still counts as a solo trip when your mom walks you halfway to your campsite?!?

The fall colors near Lake Sabrina were gorgeous.
ImageSabrina solo trip by Alice G, on Flickr

The hike to Blue Lake is a little over 3 miles. I set up camp near Blue Lake and then headed out to Donkey Lake. The trail was well marked and I had AllTrails and a printed CalTopo map I made for backup.
Donkey Lake

Blue Lake (convenient access to water)

Blue Lake in the evening

Day 2: Between the sun setting early, the cold coming in quickly, and being alone, I went to bed early both nights. I spent a good 12 hours in my tent. Some of my time was spent reading before bed and in the middle of the night. Although it got cold quickly as the sun went behind the mountains, the daytime temps were excellent, in the 60s with strong sunshine.

I originally planned to pack up camp and hike to Midnight Lake on day 2. Between the weight of my pack - solo hiking meant no one to share equipment with and October weather meant lots of layers, a warm sleeping bag, and two sleeping mats- and the reality of hiking at a higher altitude made me decide to stay at Blue Lake and do a day hike to Midnight Lake by way of Dingleberry Lake. (I'm looking forward to checking out Hunger Packer and Moonlight on my next visit!)

The trail is clearly marked except when traversing sections of huge boulders. Sometimes rocks were marking the trail as shown below, other times I had to guess and use my phone for support.

Dingleberry Lake hiding in the middle

Midnight Lake

Day 3: I woke up on my final day and packed up. It was a Friday so the trail traffic increased significantly from the prior days the trail back to Lake Sabrina. In contrast, I only saw one couple camping near Blue Lake and a small group that was looking for a site plus a few other day hikers. On the hike to Midnight Lake, I saw two people the entire time.

I made it back to Bishop well before noon and had a great dinner with my mom at Mountain Rambler Brewery.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Sabrina Basin October 18-20, 2023 (1st time solo trip)

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and thanks for the report which helps enliven our "off season". Looks like a success all the way around with beautiful weather and fall colors, plus getting to have your mom hike partway in on day 1. And Mountain Rambler is certainly a great way to finish off a trip in that area!
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Alice G, your photos are fantastic, we especially love the very first one with Mom. Where are the rest of them? I usually err on the side of too many photos, but your fine few leaving us wanting more. Besides a happy Mom, that first picture also shows that you hit the Aspen colors perfectly. Thanks for the window back in to the Sierra Alice. Cheers, Ian.

p.s. A dog adds a lot to my solo trips:

100_3392.jpg
Solo with dog on Blue Lake. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Nice report--and Good on ya!

Blue Lake is one the real treasures--easy to get to, fabulous views, and a great base camp to explore the rest of the basin.

We camped at Donkey Lake a few years ago--and saw nobody!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

My favorite destination, and great to see it with fall colors--I never have! Yes, the trail to Midnight gets a little sketchy but good to see you found your way across the granite. There is a use trail that does not cross granite on the opposite side of the outlet creek, so you can take your pick. Dayhiking in Sabrina Basin from a basecamp is wonderful--so much to see and without needing superhuman effort ;)

It was really interesting to see that the snow around Midnight has hung in there all year. I was there in August and there was still an iceberg in the lake, so I guess it is not a surprise. But seeing snow up there in late October from the prior year is--to say the least--extremely rare.

And definitely return to see Moonlight and the falls below it. Coming around the bend from Topsy Turvy and coming up the valley to Sailor Lake and Moonlight is one of the most iconic views in the Sierra. You have much to look forward to!
brianA
Topix Acquainted

Post by brianA »

Thank you Alice, for the trip report. While I've done Bishop Pass, I've never done Sabrina. I'll have to give it some thought. By the way, I love your shimmering reflective shot of Blue Lake.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

1st solo trip is a big deal. You picked a good spot.
Malice
Topix Newbie

Post by Malice »

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'm looking forward to more adventures in 2024. Cheers!