The ideal backpacking trip for my little ones

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The ideal backpacking trip for my little ones

Post by oddtiger »

Cottonwood lakes, Robinson lake and lakes along Kearsarge pass trail (both from Onion Valley, sharing the permit quota of the Kearsarge pass trail) are pretty close to soCal by driving time. Every kid is different and every trip is different too!
phonewentwest
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by phonewentwest »

I'm seeing themes here; areas that offer all desired criteria (short hike, minimal elevation gain, lots of water, campfire and fsh friendly). I've always enjoyed the planning part of these adventures, and I look forward to a deep dive into this one.

I can't thank you all enough for sharing your ideas :)
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
- Jackie Robinson
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

I have a ten year old daughter who did her first Sierra backpacking trip when she was seven. I would highly recommend the Lakes Trail in Sequoia (Heather, Emerald, Aster, and Pear Lakes). Emerald Lake at five miles in is the nearest lake you're allowed to camp at. I think it's about a 2,500 foot elevation gain to get there, which can be challenging for little ones, but pretty mellow by Sierra standards. The scenery en route is as dramatic as it gets, and all of the lakes on the trail are beyond gorgeous. Aster Lake right across the way from Emerald is an awesome place to fish. This past summer I was hoping to spend a few hours lounging around the lake fishing, but my daughter somehow managed to get the maximum of five keepers in ten minutes! The one drawback to this trail is that there's a stretch with an incredibly dramatic sheer drop to the valley below, so it may not be the best option if fear of heights is an issue.

As some other general advice, I'd highly recommend bringing any comfort items such as blankets, stuffies, etc. A deck of cards, Uno, or any other light weight games are a must for time around camp. Also, candy is one helluva a motivator for kids (adults too for that matter). Lastly, and I can't stress this enough, rather than doing the long drive home after your trip, instead stay at a hotel in the Central Valley with a pool. Anytime morale has gotten low on one of our family trips, we've been able to take solace in knowing that an air conditioned room and a pool await us at the end of the rainbow.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

I introduced my son to backpacking at Granite Lake in Mokelumne Wilderness, and he loved it. It's just two miles and 500' gain from the trailhead at Upper Blue Lake. A longer haul from SoCal than some of the other destinations in the thread, so maybe not ideal for you...but if there are Bay Area parents reading this, it's worth considering.
phonewentwest
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by phonewentwest »

These responses are so great. :D

It's so clear to me how special these places are to us, not only because of the magic and beauty they possess, but also because of the memories they evoke. Each of us clearly hold tremendous value in sharing the passion for the outdoors with our kin.

It has me thinking... Upon return from my adventure with my kids, I'll post a TR. But I think it would be pretty cool to create a thread that is solely TRs from parents' 1st time backpacking with their kids. Not just as a resource for future families, but as a source of inspiration (if not nostalgia).

Again, thank you all so much :)
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
- Jackie Robinson
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

windknot wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:23 pm Everything is kind of far from SoCal, but I'll throw in a recommendation for the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness. It's only a few miles and hardly any gain from the trailhead to First Dinkey, which is a pretty lake with lots of brookies for eating, and is below 10,000 feet so campfires are allowed. Lots of other little lakes nearby that are fun to explore if you stay more than one night at a basecamp.
This is where I intend to take my son on his first trip next summer. It would make a perfect multi-day trip for younglings, too, with copious lakes, streams, and things to explore.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Many good suggestions here, and there are probably a couple of dozen old threads on exactly this same topic if you scrounge around. I never do fires, even when permitted, so I don't keep track of that, so my suggestions may not work for you. But the three places that were most successful for my kids were:

1) My kids enjoyed Roundtop and Winnemucca Lakes, with the added benefit that you can car camp at Woods Lake before or after the tip. Near Carson Pass, so a long way from SoCa.

2) Many of the eastside trailheads have lakes within easy reach if you simply stop early. Little Lakes Valley from Mosquito Flat is the classic trip for kids. Very crowded and hard to get permits, though.

3) Sabrina Basin is a bit harder than those two, but my kids enjoyed the hike to Blue Lake, which is then a great base camping location for further dayhiking exploration.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

FWIW my 9 year old had no difficulty reaching Piute Lake in good time... but really couldn't handle climbing with any pack weight, so I ended up carrying his backpack.

I'd think anything behind south lake would be similar (Chocolate loop?) difficulty.

Also, the pre-pass lakes on the way up duck pass trail would be good options too. (Skelton/Barney)
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Parker and Walker lakes by June lakes are easy hikes for kids. Also its lower in altitude just in case they don't acclimate to going over 10K too fast. LLV would be the best 30 years ago when it wasn't so crowded but now its a zoo. Kinney lakes by Ebbetts pass is good too and so is Bull Run Lake by Lake Alpine.

Texan
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

texan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:13 pm Parker and Walker lakes by June lakes are easy hikes for kids. Also its lower in altitude just in case they don't acclimate to going over 10K too fast. LLV would be the best 30 years ago when it wasn't so crowded but now its a zoo. Kinney lakes by Ebbetts pass is good too and so is Bull Run Lake by Lake Alpine.

Texan
I think the biggest "problem" with LLV is that is just that bowl. Almost no one leaving from that trailhead is using it to enter deeper into the Backcountry, couple that with it being one of the best dayhike areas because you can quickly and easily be at high elevation and it's extremely picturesque.