Advice for Mono Pass Trail, Pioneer Basin, Laurel Creek, Fourth Recess

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice for Mono Pass Trail, Pioneer Basin, Laurel Creek, Fourth Recess

Post by Gogd »

+1 on @ wandering Daisy's suggestion to hike on the drive day to Ruby Lake. Its just long enough to stretch your legs and a rest to get acclimated before the slog over the pass. As for the rest of the trip; surf the web for images of your destinies, plenty our there to review. There is considerable variation in the draw each venue poses, from forest lined lakes to alpine tarn tucked beneath high cirques - different strike for different folks. My vote for a 5 day outing is Ruby to Fourth Recess Lake, XC up to Snow Lakes, then cross over into Third Recess to Third Recess lake, then rejoining the trail out, back to the car. Alas as a level 3 hiker you may consider otherwise. So many other options, nevertheless.

BTW: when are you planning to do this trip? Consider that the first big storm of the season can occur anytime now, and going over high passes this time of year is not advised unless you have very solid snow camping/travel skills.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I also liked Ruby Lake, which my daughter and I were forced to camp at when we got hit with a storm. It is an hour or two up the trail from the trailhead. Whether it is a good option for you will depend on when you start.

And I was presuming you were asking about a trip you are planning for next summer. Going in November, as Gogd notes, is quite a risk. Not only do you have a serious risk of weather, but you are down to only about 10 1/2 hours of daylight.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by sbennett3705 »

Gogd wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:22 pm BTW: when are you planning to do this trip? Consider that the first big storm of the season can occur anytime now, and going over high passes this time of year is not advised unless you have very solid snow camping/travel skills.
Next summer for sure! My Sierra season is over, moving to San Gabriel and desert hiking in SoCal.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

sbennett3705 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:13 pm Very cool campsite. Is it legal from a distance standpoint?
Oh yes. The photo is taken from the edge of the campsite, which is well away and uphill from the shore. I would not advise camping on the grassy shore — too easily damaged.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
uncommonloon
Topix Newbie

Post by uncommonloon »

]For first night camping, I had luck coming down off the pass and taking the Golden Lake trail maybe 0.2 miles east from the junction (towards the lake) and then going south across the stream to an obvious flat spot, a little raised above the river with a few trees around. Nice quiet spot with moderate use.

If you can make it, the Snow Lakes, approached from fourth recess lake, are worth a visit. The ascent from the lake takes a little figuring. I've put a little sketch below of the approximate route I took.
4th recess lake to snow lakes.jpg
There are two Snow Lakes, upper and lower. They are both fed by a glacier and have variations of that distinctive blue color you get from glacial silt. Here's a couple shots of lower Snow Lake
Lower Snow Lake s.jpg
IMG_0161s.jpg
Here's a view looking down on upper and lower lakes from the route to the glacier
IMG_0147s.jpg

Good luck on your trip

-Mark

ps. Can someone tell me why my vertical pictures won't stay vertical? I've tried inserting them with different rotations but the interface seems hell bent on tipping the pic over regardless :)!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

+1 on Snow lakes. I find the unnamed lakes at 11k very peaceful and more open/spacious than the more severe higher ground at 11.4k.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

uncommonloon wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:04 pm
ps. Can someone tell me why my vertical pictures won't stay vertical? I've tried inserting them with different rotations but the interface seems hell bent on tipping the pic over regardless :)!
@ uncommonloon: I'd try rotating them vertical in the source file, saving them there, in that orientation, then importing the modified file to HST.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.