Advice for Mono Pass Trail, Pioneer Basin, Laurel Creek, Fourth Recess

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Advice for Mono Pass Trail, Pioneer Basin, Laurel Creek, Fourth Recess

Post by sbennett3705 »

Any advice for a 5-day trip up Mono Pass Trail to Pioneer Basin, Laurel Creek and Fourth Recess? I don't want to hike completely to Pioneer Basin on day one, what's a good stopping point? Any camping advice at these locations offering good views? Any advice on exploring Pioneer Basin or Fourth Recess?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Re: Advice for Mono Pass Trail, Pioneer Basin, Laurel Creek, Fourth Recess

Post by kpeter »

Sure. First, here is my trip report from a couple of years ago:

viewtopic.php?p=173835#p173835

Trail Lakes are the typical stopping point for people going just a half a day. Another alternative is to Fourth Recess Lake which saves you the last climb up into Pioneer. Some folks would go up to the first green lake in the basin at 10390 but that first lake does not really feel it is "in the basin" and is about 500 feet lower than most of the others.

I made it to to Pioneer Basin in a day and I am not a long distance packer, but the last uphill was challenging for my old body. But Fourth Recess Lake is a fine destination too. Remember everything is downhill from Mono Pass to Fourth Recess Lake--so once you make it over the pass it is not too hard on the lungs.

Yet another more complicated alternative is to cross-x from Summit Lake down to Golden Lake as a first day destination. There are thread on this site on how to do that, though I have not done so.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

You can also camp along Mono Creek below Pioneer Basin, which we did on one trip because of thunderstorms. It's much more protected down there, and saves the climb to either 4th recess or the Basin for the next day.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I like to walk in the day I drive (I hate car camping). Including my 4-5 hour drive, I cannot make it to Pioneer Basin. If you arrive at the TH later in the day, Ruby Lake is beautiful. Trail Lake is good too- pretty and the lake has fish. I would avoid Summit Lake- it is exposed and very windy. Golden Lakes are nice but that adds extra off-trail miles. Fourth Recess Lake is very scenic, but also adds miles plus a river crossing.

I am confused regarding what you mean by Laurel Creek. Do you intend to go up to Laurel Lake and/or Grinnell Lake? If you intend to go all the way up to Laurel Lake, 5 days may not leave you enough time to really enjoy both Pioneer Basin and Laurel-Grinnell. Depends if your goal is a quick pass through many areas or spending layovers at your destinations. Or if you fish. It is easy to spend almost an entire day visiting ALL the lakes in Pioneer Basin. 4th recess is so beautiful and quite close, so I would not drop that destination. And a small side trip to Ruby Lake either on the way in or out is well worth the time if only to snap a few photos.

Have you thought about leaving Pioneer Basin to the last?
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

I heard Laurel Lake was very nice, may swap with Lower Hopkins Lake? Something like this: Mono Pass Trail Trailhead -> Fourth Recess Lake -> Pioneer Basin (+1 day explore) -> Lower Hopkins Lake -> Golden Lake or Ruby Lake. Need to allow time on the last day to drive back to Reno before dark.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I personally did not like Lower Hopkins Lake and thought it not very scenic. But my opinion may have been skewed due to mosquitoes. And I skipped Upper Hopkins Lake, which is likely more scenic. In my opinion, Third Recess is more scenic. How about Golden Lakes? Or Ruby Lake and day-hike above.

I think Laurel Lake is better reached from Edison Lake. But it is a long drive to the TH on a bad road.

If you really want to go to Laurel be prepared for quite a drop in elevation to Laurel Creek and then you have to go up a lot to get to Laurel Lake, and then the same elevation gain back. But yes, Laurel Lake is very beautiful if you are up to all the elevation gain. It may be better logistically to take 2 days to Laurel, 1 day back to Pioneer Basin, layover in Pioneer and then out. Rigorous, but feasible if you are in shape.

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Forget Laurel Creek on a 5 night trip (actually parts of 6 days). The rest is barely enough if one is actually interested in experiencing those areas. Of course many trail mile oriented visitors are just interested in briefly tagging each destination that I regularly am critical over. Like those on the JMT/PCT that arrive at Thousand Island Lake by late afternoon when light is poorest and then the next early morning when light is best, get up late missing much, pack up and then continue on their trail as though that is all that matters.

Note the shown USGS map trail locations are mostly incorrect.
From Mosquito Flat TH:
2.1 miles to Ruby Lakes
3.7 miles to Summit Lake ~ 2000 feet uphill
5.5 miles to Golden Lake or Trail Lakes
8 miles to Mud Lake (lowest in Pioneer Basin) up another 400 feet.
9.5 miles to Pioneer Basin lake 10862, up another 500 feet.

Not much value going all the way to Mud Lake on a first day unless one is an ultralight long distance hiker. Otherwise most probably won't have much energy to do much after the effort and will more likely be rather late in day when the Mt Hopkins ridge shadows make Pioneer Basin boring. So yeah going all the way is as unproductive and wiser to choose a mid way destination as you ask.

Reasonably alpine scenic Trail Lakes is heavily used and ok for camping but strategically, I'll suggest going further in order to be able to reach Pioneer Basin in best light during next day early morning by starting at sunrise. Yes one could go all the way to Fourth Recess Lake at 8 miles but that is still relatively strenuous and by 5pm PDT the towering Mono Rock ridge makes the lake shadowed.

So instead will suggest camping at the 6.5 mile point just before the trail crosses Golden Creek at a large seep meadow. Best just upstream beyond the flowery meadow in the mature whitebark pine forest few consider stopping at. Pleasant down in the canyon location for sleeping with excellent end of day late light from the west. That will leave a modest 3 miles to reach lake 10862 where one actually wants to be and has time late morning to explore a bit finding an optimal scenic camp spot. Spend a layover there. For day 4 move to Fourth Recess Lake. Since you mention driving home during daylight hours, for day 5 camp at Ruby Lake that though heavily used is spectacular during mid mornings, making the hike out by noon trivial.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.4473 ... 2&z=14&b=t
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

Thanks to SSSDave, the Golden Creek stopping point makes all the difference! Can't beat local knowedge.
Here's what I'm finally considering: fewer trail miles, more exploring: https://caltopo.com/m/10GUE/TK8CMN7DQULN1C4S
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

There's a great spot to camp on the southern shore of Golden Lake. It only requires a bit of talus hopping around the shore if you intend to come up or go down Golden Creek.
golden-lake-1200px.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

Very cool campsite. Is it legal from a distance standpoint?