Tablelands Foxtail search

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tablelands Foxtail search

Post by thegib »

Ok experts,
I'm familiar w/ the Tablelands (SEKI) and heading there later this week. I don't recall much in the way of trees anywhere. My partner wants a Foxtail. We don't have enough time to hit Glacier Ridge (which has outstanding Foxtails), so which direction do I head? We've only 2 short nights.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Tablelands Foxtail search

Post by Enigmagic »

there are quite a few trees around Tablelands Meadow, though I am not sure if there are foxtails.
IMG_1719.jpeg
_DSC4151.jpeg
_DSC4149.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

nice pix enigmagic, but not foxy enough.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

There is a healthy grove of foxtail pines along the upper kern cutoff trail. It's not anywhere near the Tablelands, unfortunately. The area is circled in blue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

There are foxtails on Alta, but on the southern slopes. Looking through my pics, the trees in Tablelands Meadows ( at least the lower sections) are Lodgepole pines. I'll look through my other pics but I'm not sure there are any in the Tablelands proper.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Thanks Lenier,
I don't remember any over Tablelands pass, on the way to Big Bird, nor any along the Horn col - pterodactyl route, but as I haven't been to Moose yet I just wondered if anyone recalled any stragglers thereabouts.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

Not quite Tableland, but there are a few foxtails at the head of the canyon of the South Fork of Sugarloaf Creek (Crowley Canyon), just over the Kings-Kaweah Divide. I took a few photos when I went through there last week, but the one JimmyJam took is better:
https://jimmyjamhikingclub.com/2022/06/ ... ah-divide/
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

If your friend misses out on the Foxtail Pines, a consolation prize might be one of the largest population densites of the Western White Pine (Pinus monticola), which grows in the tributaries of the Kaweah River, from Heather to Pear Lake. They are a beautiful species, usually found only in sparse and scattered populations.

Western white pine, also called silver pine and California mountain pine, is a species of pine in the family Pinaceae. It occurs in mountain ranges of northwestern North America and is the state tree of Idaho.
Scientific name
: Pinus monticola

Red Fir right, Western White Pine left of center, with Bearzy looking at it.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Wow, that's a serious tree. We just got back and I relayed this about the Western White and she said "that explains it", she noticed something was wrong, the trees and cones weren't matching up in her mind. Thanks for the tip.
davishere
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by davishere »

Did you get the foxtail or came back without it?