Late-season Yosemite backpacking recs - overnight parking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ketoile
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Late-season Yosemite backpacking recs - overnight parking

Post by ketoile »

I'm planning a Yosemite trip starting the 22nd, as of now, looks like the weather will hold for an overnight and Tioga Pass will be open. I'm just learning about the October 15th parking closure. Does this mean overnight parking anywhere along 120 is totally out of the question even if the road's open and there's no weather in the forecast? (I do understand why they close parking so the clueless don't get stuck when there is snow.) I'd really love to do something starting from the Tenaya Lake zone. What happens, are the trailhead lots gated? Do they ticket you? Can you park at the Wilderness Center since it's open for self-registration?

Second question: assuming the Tuolumne zone is out, what's a good one-nighter starting from the Valley that doesn't feel like a superhighway or include sufferfest switchbacks (Yosemite Falls, Snow Creek)? I'm an experienced backpacker, so I'm not interested in camping at Little Yosemite Valley, for example. Looking for views, backcountry campsites, available water.

Thanks!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Late-season Yosemite backpacking recs - overnight parking

Post by c9h13no3 »

Park car outside of the no parking area. Then, hitch/bike/rollerblade to the trailhead of your choice. Hike back to your car.

Any trail out of the valley will climb... out of the Valley. I don't know what to tell you about the elevation gain. Maybe try the Chiquito Pass, Saddlebag Lake, Annett's Mono Village or Kibbie Lake if you wanna get into Yosemite without NPS red tape?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
ketoile
Topix Novice

Post by ketoile »

Heh. Yeah, I know all of them have climbing, but there are levels to the suffering involved.

How easy is hitching up 120 from the Valley, especially since this would be late-season and possibly a weekday?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You could also hitch from the Lee Vining side rather than the valley. There may be some parking allowed east of the entry station on 120. Saddlebag Lakes parking? If parking is allowed at Saddlebag Lakes, then bicycling to Rafferty may work. Drop your pack at the TH, park car, then bicycle back. Lock bicycle at TH. Do trip, stash pack, bicycle back to car, come back and pick up pack.

If you hitch from the west side, it is easier from the gas station at the Valley-Tioga junction. I did that years ago but was in a group. The group stayed at the TH with my pack, while I drove back, parked and hitched. It is a lot easier to hitch without a pack. We did a one-way from Tioga Road to the Valley, so parked another car in the valley, so only one hitch was needed. I have hitched solo between White Wolf and Tuolumne a few times, but had to walk up to 120 to get a ride. The White Wolf Road was not open since it still had snow (early season trip).

An in-between method would be to loop from Glacier Point. You still have to do elevation gain to get to the high country, but not as much as starting from the Valley.

I also parked illegally for an overnight trip and did not get towed or a ticket. Parked where the car could not be seen from 120. Not saying that this is a good idea. I would not do it for a long trip because the reason they do not allow parking is that if a big storm comes in the road may be permanently closed and then you would have big problems.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

ketoile wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:40 pmHow easy is hitching up 120 from the Valley, especially since this would be late-season and possibly a weekday?
Like Daisy says, get yourself to at least Crane Flat. Going from the Valley to Tuolumne will likely require two hitches, and there won't be a crap ton of traffic headed up to Tuolumne unless you're early in the morning. An easier hitch would be from Saddlebag Lake road to Tuolumne Meadows (pro tip: display your national park pass whilst hitching).

I'd think something like biking from Saddlebag to Tuolumne Meadows, then hiking back to your car via Mt Conness or McCabe Lake pass or whatever you wanted to do would be the ticket.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
ketoile
Topix Novice

Post by ketoile »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:56 pm If you hitch from the west side, it is easier from the gas station at the Valley-Tioga junction. I did that years ago but was in a group. The group stayed at the TH with my pack, while I drove back, parked and hitched. It is a lot easier to hitch without a pack. We did a one-way from Tioga Road to the Valley, so parked another car in the valley, so only one hitch was needed. I have hitched solo between White Wolf and Tuolumne a few times, but had to walk up to 120 to get a ride. The White Wolf Road was not open since it still had snow (early season trip).

An in-between method would be to loop from Glacier Point. You still have to do elevation gain to get to the high country, but not as much as starting from the Valley.

I also parked illegally for an overnight trip and did not get towed or a ticket. Parked where the car could not be seen from 120. Not saying that this is a good idea. I would not do it for a long trip because the reason they do not allow parking is that if a big storm comes in the road may be permanently closed and then you would have big problems.
Thanks, this is all really helpful, except Glacier Point road also closes for overnight parking on the 15th.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

This time of year I'd (like to) think trail traffic would be an issue for only the first few miles of the trail out of Happy Isles.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, Happy Isles would be the easiest logistically - just bite the bullet and do the elevation gain. It will not likely be hot and it is scenic. Depends on where you plan to go and how much time you have. You may waste just as much time trying get to a trailhead along 120.

As for Glacier Point, I think you could park at Badger Ski area and walk or bicycle to Glacier Point.