Grass patterns

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
tgn1461
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Grass patterns

Post by tgn1461 »

Does anyone know what causes the grass to grow in these patterns? This was taken in Humphreys basin between Lower Desolation lake and Tomahawk lake on 9/28/23. Just curious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Grass patterns

Post by frozenintime »

i have wondered the same thing over the years, thanks for asking here.
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shtinkypuppie »

I don't know if it's exactly what's happening here, but some grasses grow outward and leave behind hostile chemicals where old growth was, preventing other plants from rooting in the center of their growth circles and shading them out.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Just speculating here, but it looks like the tarn in the background has dried up and the grass pattern is from small pools of water that were left over. Again, just a guess.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

The above explanations are definitely plausible. I also noticed the rings follow elevation contours, that maybe puddles are the explanation, as well the "growth ring could be causing those subtle undulation in the soil. My thought was the contours may be the result of water flow with the edges serving as catchment zones for seeds set adrift in a shower, later to take root where they came to rest. I suspect there are HSTers out there who know the actual explanation, but are content to be amused while us "low-botanists" types show off our ignorance.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.