High Sierra Camps 2024

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: High Sierra Camps 2024

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Although historical, the locations of the camps are very crowded nowadays, not giving those who pay those prices the wilderness experience. Goes also for backpackers, who also have their experience degraded. I personally feel the impact is due ALL aspects of the camps, not just mule use. I have never thought the trail were excessively degraded. The users of the camps are paying a lot; some of that could be used for trail maintenance. We backpackers do not contribute much to pay for trails. Pointing fingers at mules is a bit hypocritical; we should be careful else other users point fingers at us! I suspect the NP has wanted to get out of the business of these camps for many years. Vogalsang camp is particularly crowded. Not so much Merced.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

I agree that mule trains do a lot of trail damage. It doesn't seem hypocritical to point it out.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been on most of the trails between the High Sierra Camps and do not recall THOSE trails particularly damaged. Perhaps I was lucky and recent trail work had been done. I am not saying mules do NO damage. There certainly are trails that DO get damaged by mules. But honestly the specific trails between Sierra High Camps looked pretty good to me whenever I used them.

My point was that the "ban every other use but mine" is a slippery slope and a bit hypocritical. Just my opinion. You are welcome to disagree. The fees charged for use of the High Camps should be enough for added trail work if needed. Whether that is done, I do not know. If mule use is a trail problem there are other ways to solve it than shut down the Sierra High Camps. I am not a big proponent of the camps, but I am willing to share the trails with those who book those trips and the support services that are needed.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:49 pm IMy point was that the "ban every other use but mine" is a slippery slope and a bit hypocritical. Just my opinion.
I've never used the camps, but heartily agree with your POV.

It is hard enough to secure support and funding for the outdoor spaces we cherish, without banning mountain bikers, horse campers, High Sierra Camp clients, and assorted other groups currently sharing the trails, under the pretense they do not meet the doctrines of purists who get upset at other campers, because their bright tent colors sully their pristine panorama, dislike poopie trails or other self serving agendas. It seems reasonable - wise even - to accommodate whatever it takes to operate these remote camps, given they have operated for decades, most for many generations. Trails throughout the Sierra have been successfully engineered for equestrian use. I am sure the few miles of trail we address herein can be addressed accordingly.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

bobby49 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:22 am One factor that is seldom discussed is the damage done to the trails (e.g. the Rafferty Creek Trail) by the mule teams that haul supplies to the High Sierra Camps.
The Rafferty Creek Trail is in phenomenal shape as of 3 weeks ago. I was floored at how nice that trail from Vogelsang to TM was.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

The travelyosemite.com web page now also includes this paragraph:

We have also reevaluated the dining at the remote camps (Glen Aulin, May Lake, and Sunrise Lake) and are moving to create a more sustainable service that drastically reduces our environmental impact on the Yosemite backcountry. The new experience will feature culinary creations aligned with a traditional backpacking experience. The group meals served will be backpacking-style meals using dehydrated ingredients and fresh additions. The goal is to reduce our environmental impact with waste, pack mule impacts, and additional strain on the delicate backcountry trails.

Anyone know when the lottery closes? I can't find any date online.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Lenier writes:
The Rafferty Creek Trail is in phenomenal shape as of 3 weeks ago. I was floored at how nice that trail from Vogelsang to TM was.
I have been up Rafferty too, but I couldn't find the trail anywhere!

100_0288 (2).JPG
Lost on Rafferty Creek!

100_0224.JPG
???

100_0285 (2).JPG
Finally, Tuolumne Pass.

100_0286 (2).JPG
Serves me right for going in January. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Since I've already had a boomer badger me online about sourcing (he also corrected me a while back out of the blue that the Soda Spring Cabin is not a cabin but a structure, despite NPS calling it a cabin lol), that's out of the way so I'll share here. Shots from ~two weeks ago, conversation is from a wilderness ranger that's been around for at least a decade and is a few days old. I didn't record it, so believe it or not. Nothing will change!

Aside from the obvious damage to some structures at Vogelsang, there are issues with their composting toilets and water was under a filter/boil advisory in 2018 with people camping by Fletcher Lake listed as an impact. I remember back in 2011-2013 it was the only high camp that didn't need to treat its water, and they probably need to install some more permanent filtering solution.

Don't expect the store/grill to open next summer, as plans for a new, sturdier, structure haven't been finalized.

Due to the above, there are plans/expectations (so not 100%) to have a temporary/mobile building act as a post office, and to expand the little store in the lobby of the Tuolumne Lodge to have some backpacking / hiking food. It'll still obviously be far more limited than the old store was.

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6859.jpg

Mules were not mentioned as an impact, and I'd agree that the trails coming and going from Vogelsang are in far better condition than the JMT etc. Vogelsang is heavily used, but feels far less "thrashed" than other hotspots Rae Lakes, Evolution Lake, etc. That said Aramark is going to reduce the amount of fresh food going to camps, so they shouldn't need ~3 mule trains a week per camp anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I look back at my photos and it was 20 years ago that I took the Yosemite "High Sierra Camps" Vogelsang hike as a result of a friend's generosity and the fact that after a number of tries, she "won" the Yosemite lottery and was able to have the "privilege" to finally be able to book a trip to the camps for her family - and me which cost her a TON of money. I was a serious backpacker for most of my life but I came to realize that this trip is essentially as close to a "wilderness" adventure as is likely possible for normies. I enjoyed this trip a lot (and had been to Vogelsang area solo in the past). My opinion is that some sacrifices have to be made for the general public's enjoyment of the hiking experience and this made for a lot of happy memories for all involved - shout out to Ranger Doug!. I don't think that anyone on this trip other than I continued to hike so this was their one chance to experience the "backcountry". It was also pretty nice to be able to carry the minimal load between camps... As a result of this, I have a different perspective on the concept of such camps. They bring a taste of the backcountry to those who otherwise could not experience it other than on horseback - which I may be reduced to as I grow older... YMMV.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Yeah they're useful for a few reasons:

a) people unable to carry heavy packs but don't need/want a pack train
b) people that don't want to or haven't yet invested in gear
c) they're fun to get snacks mid or late trip (or get shanghaied into kitchen help for free meals) :p