Green Creek to Summit Lake, Virginia Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
apenn1
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Green Creek to Summit Lake, Virginia Pass

Post by apenn1 »

Anyone been up Virginia Pass lately or Summit Lake? Much snow left on the way to the pass from Summit Lake and/or Virginia Pass Trail? Thanks!!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Green Creek to Summit Lake, Virginia Pass

Post by Harlen »

Hello apenn1, Haven't been there lately, but many times in the past. I reckon you'll find a fair bit of snow lingering in the upper slopes on the Virginia Pass side, as there are north-facing slopes shading the route near the top. Both passes are pretty broad, and I'll bet you will be able to pick your way around the steep snow. On the Yosemite side of both passes you'll have west-facing slopes, which should be pretty dry ground.

Is it a leisurely trip, or a endurance run you'll be making? If the former, then you can choose your timing, and hit the tops when they are a bit softenend. We recently suffered in hard snowfields for our lack of gear. Even if we had used more solid boots, it would've helped a lot. I was really leaning hard on my ski pole, which is a dicey form of protection-- 2 poles would've been better, and an ice axe better still. The snow this year seems really hardened, and even with good climbing boots, it would have been very hard work to kick good steps. I'd err on the side of caution, and take crampons. It's a brilliant area, and I hope you have a blast.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.