TR: Haeckel-Lamarck Comedy of Errors, 9/11-13/2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Haeckel-Lamarck Comedy of Errors, 9/11-13/2023

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for an entertaining read and nice photos. But despite the no-doubt true analyses above that you have to be a real stud mountaineer to have accomplished this route in three days with no map, I have one doubt: really, only ONE copy of the map? No second copy in your pack?
-Phil
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:15 pm Thanks for an entertaining read and nice photos. But despite the no-doubt true analyses above that you have to be a real stud mountaineer to have accomplished this route in three days with no map, I have one doubt: really, only ONE copy of the map? No second copy in your pack?
-Phil
I did wonder about that too. I take paper maps, my gps unit, and my Inreach unit. So paper maps and 2 electronic maps as backup.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

OK, I will admit that I only take one map and do not use a GPS, and on several occasions ended up with no map - simply did not get put in my map packet when I left home. I too have left a map at a rest stop. Route finding is a skill separate from having a map. The only problem is that you cannot see over the ridge to what is on the other side. I probably too would not have turned back just because I lost the map. You can always retreat if you cannot find the route on the other side of a ridge.

It was wise not to try to go down to Schober Lakes. I was once fishing at the upper Schober Lake when a poor fellow came stumbling past me. He ended up spending the night on the descent and said it was really difficult. Granted he may have not had any climbing experience.
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

I appreciate the comments, everyone! It's fun to be able to trade stories here.

thegib, in those moments of downclimbing I thought, if it's easy enough to do this without the extra 25 lbs. on my back, why not. The results of my technique, uh, speak for themselves.

Two maps, wildhiker and kpeter? You may be onto something there...

WD: re: Schober: noted!
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

PS I notice that some people, in responding to each other here, put "@" before someone else's name. Is there a technical reason for that, or is it just a convention?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Enjoyed the story. Few obviously will publicly post that kind of pain. Of course you leaned a lot. I always take at least two sets of most important maps since paper is so light and losing anything handled so often is always possible. The lack of appetite is often not actual altitude sickness but rather too strenuous a day 1 effort at high elevations. Thus in the future, consider a more moderate starting day.
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

Seriously.

Also, kpeter, while glad, I was also somewhat chagrined to see my intended ridge from beneath Blue Heaven, because, done properly, it looked so clearly to be a ridgerunner's delight. I ended up traversing above Midnight to meet up with the west end of the ridge (not a way I can recommend).
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Sam R wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:56 pm PS I notice that some people, in responding to each other here, put "@" before someone else's name. Is there a technical reason for that, or is it just a convention?
When the forum software is working perfectly, adding the “@“ highlights your name and serves as sort of a “link” to your user identity, causing you to receive a notification that someone has “mentioned” you. It works similar to “quoting” someone’s post. However, this software feature has been broken recently, but lots of us still use it out of habit.
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

Got it, grampy (or @grampy)--thanks for that.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

@Sam R,
Man! This is yet another from the goldmine of "Unread postland." Like others, I really enjoyed you sense of humor throughout the story, and your overall great writing style. What a fine route you managed-- you could have easily maintained that you were not lost, just exploring Blue Heaven basin. Your photos are fantastic! I especially love numbers 4,5 &6 on your way up to Haeckel Pass. Haeckel is one fine-looking peak!
Please keep the trip reports coming Sam! Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.