TR: West Cherry Creek in the Wild Emigrant, 9/9 - 9/14/2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: West Cherry Creek in the Wild Emigrant, 9/9 - 9/14/2023

Post by texan »

Nice TR and there are No golden trout in Wire Lakes. I heard it was fishless but you never know. I fished Emigrant lake for 20 years and never caught a brookie there until GB and Jim Lowe proved there are in there. Also,I have caught a 19 inch rainbow from Bigelow in 05 and now they say there are only brookies in it. So you never know. GB knows the history of Wire Lake for sure. A side note, Huckleberry is probably the best self sustaining fishery in Emigrant with 12-16" rainbows and brookies in it and of course you get one over 18 inches every once in a while. Thanks again for the report.

Texan
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

FYI, the original anglers guide for Emigrant Basin says they planted brookies. I remember our late friend HST member RLOWN fished Wires Lakes and caught good sized brookies. GB posted the thread below in 2008 so it looks like Wire Lakes are fishless.

. for our members... Reports continue to filter in about high country lakes that have had fish removed in order to create habitat for mountain ... Carson-Iceberg Wilderness: Burgson L., Camp L. E. Emigrant Wilderness: Wire Lakes, Long Lake. F. Hoover Wilderness: G. Tioga Pass area: H. SR168 ...

Texan
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Great photos as usual, and I'm tickled to get a mention in one of Ian's famed trip reports. Those are nice fish, and Lizzie's rainbow is indeed giant. Good work to all, and thanks for the report!
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

A fine TR, Ian! Clearly the “growth” is complete in terms of your west-side appreciation, as the photos and prose are as enthusiastic as always. Bravo.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Wonderful to see many of the same sights a few weeks later--and a bit drier! I really did like Karl's last time I was there--especially out on the peninsula. I need to go see Coyote and Kole Lakes--two I have missed before now. I love your reports, the sense of humor--your trips looks joyful with the fishing and the dogs and the companionship.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

What a fantastic report and a terrific read. That makes my weekend. This time of year I don't get up for trips like this, so I particularly enjoy reading about them. This one has it all: the flowers, the scenery, the dogs, and the fish, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

We were camped at Buck and day hiked to Emigrant Lake the day of that storm. Were we were, at higher altitude and a bit east, that storm was wild and lasted half the day and night with LOTS of hail, yes the size of marbles, rain, thunder and lightening!!!
Lovely pics!
swimjam
Topix Novice

Post by swimjam »

I really love the shout out to all those beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Ian.. great trip report. Nice rainbows.
Adding to what others have said, I am pretty sure Karl's Lake is fishless.
I camped there in the 70's. A bunch of us teenagers waded out to the island and camped on the island. We made a fire and have always wondered
whether the fire ring we created was still there (it was ok back then!).
The popular lakes here get a lot of visitors but there are many also where you can get a feeling of relative isolation.
Thanks for the TR..fun read as always.
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

I especially enjoy the species ID's here. Keep em coming!