Is there a strategy to avoid these large boulders?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DaveLane
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Is there a strategy to avoid these large boulders?

Post by DaveLane »

I'll be embarking on a hike that takes me over Lamarck Col and along the Darwin Lakes. A while back, I did a day hike from Darwin Bench up to the col and back, and I don't recall encountering much of a challenge with boulders, but then again, I wasn't carrying a backpack at the time. However, most of the reports I've come across about the Darwin Lakes describe a terrain filled with large, challenging boulders. I'm comfortable with the basics of bouldering, but I'm not so keen on dealing with those substantial boulders anymore as I'm getting older. So, my question is, is there a strategy to avoid these large boulders when hiking along Darwin Lakes? I'm thinking about a route like Puppet Pass, where you can minimize bouldering by staying close to the northern wall of the pass. Armed with that knowledge, navigating Puppet Pass became quite manageable. I'm wondering if there might be a similar insider tip for traversing the area around Darwin Lakes.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is there a strategy to avoid these large boulders?

Post by FrankPS »

Dave,

It's been a few years since I went through the Darwin Canyon, but I don't recall the talus/boulder fields to be very long. Just a few minutes to get through the two most bouldery areas by the lakes. I don't know about alternate routes. Go slowly and it will be a non-issue.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are several faint use-trails. I have stayed low and do not recall any huge problems. Others have stayed high. I do not think there is a magic bullet. More experience in micro-route finding being useful as well as comfort with class 3 scrambling. It may be useful to bring a short length of something like tent cord to lower your pack if needed.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I've been through Darwin Canyon a couple of times in the past 3 years (twice each way). There's a defined use trail through 90% of Darwin Canyon, and only 2-3 boulder fields near the 3rd and 4th lakes that require hopping (no use trail). There's also a short section of mini cliffs along the first lake (counting from the bottom) that may require a tiny bit of class 2 scrambling to get around if water levels are too high to stay right at the lake's edge. But it's really not bad at all. I think most of those reports of troublesome bouldering come from backpackers who typically stick to trails, so from that perspective anything that is not a trail is an unpleasant surprise.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I concur with windknot in the sense that the difficulty passing these lakes can be a bit overblown, at least in dry conditions. I imagine snowfields would make the process trickier, as would crossing this area while it's raining. But when conditions are dry - pffff. :smirk:
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Concur with all of the above. But if one wanted to take tips, search the HST forum, some have posted specifics of the tedious sections. Mostly just keep to the north side of the lakes. Also take along a pocket monocular. I use mine to scout ahead for routes while going XC. You can see much of the Darwin Canyon route from Lamarck Pass. It helps me out. Lastly, I suggest taking a compass vector from the pass to the inlet of the upper lake. Take your time, and be precise. When returning, shoot that bearing from the inlet in reverse; this will preclude confusion regarding the precise whereabouts of the entry point to pass when you return.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
kscott
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kscott »

Last year was the second time I went in and out via Darwin Lakes from Lamarck Col. I found that it's easier to go low around the massive boulder pileup along the first lake, and to go high to get from the second last lake to the last lake.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

If you want to avoid rocks, the mountains may not be the place for you ;)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

The worst of it is between lakes 3 and 4. I tried going near the lake and gave that up. Huge boulders. I don't like huge boulders. I went up away from the lake and the boulders were a lot smaller and it was a fairly typical level hippity-hop crossing. My advice: Go high. If I go through there again, that's what I will do.
Other than then, nothing out of the ordinary around the rest of the lakes, with a trail most of the way.