Your 'Don't-Care-Want-It' Thing

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Blastomatic
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Your 'Don't-Care-Want-It' Thing

Post by Blastomatic »

I'm curious what everyone's item, or items, that they absolutely want to have on a long section hike or thru-hike, regardless of weight?
Maybe it's something you don't need at all, or a heavier version of something you do need.

For me it's an absolutely absurd Nemo Roamer sleeping pad meant for car camping; it's like falling into a feather bed at the end of every day.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your 'Don't-Care-Want-It' Thing

Post by Gogd »

Fresh oranges for lunch on Day 8 of 10+ day trips. I carry enough to share with companions. Definitely equal the weight offset of your pad vs the typical hiker sleeping pad.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

I thought I had these luxury carries but over the years it turns out I really don't have any meaningful ones. Fishing gear I guess is the closest thing.

I do pack an overly warm quilt (10f) and an inflatable pillow.

At this point my base weight is around 15lbs including fishing gear and a BV450. my hiking doesn't feel a whole lot different than with a daypack.

I think if I wasn't going to spend hours fishing, I would want to add a camp chair.
Blastomatic wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:20 am For me it's an absolutely absurd Nemo Roamer sleeping pad meant for car camping; it's like falling into a feather bed at the end of every day.
Edit: I actually looked this up - 5lbs 12oz! OMG. that's my total sleep and shelter weight! (Tarpetent double rainbow, Revelation 10 degree long wide quilt, neoair xlite nxt, trekology pillow)

That is an impressive level of commitment to sleep!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

A small flask of good scotch.

Watching the sunset at the end of the day, a couple fingers of single malt in your cup...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

I have a fairly light folding seat back, I include a small square of insolite. This little chair is the last thing on the outside of my pack, and the way it folds allows a small space just big enough for my river shoes, or an extra water bottle. I've had it on every camping trip for over 40 years. I also have taken a small flask of schnapps, but I consider that a bit of the kitchen.
-m
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I would say about 1.5 lbs of fishing gear, but the last couple of trips, I didn't even take that. As i get older, I get lazier...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I am disqualified as an ultra-lighter by carrying a Peak Design tripod that weighs 3 pounds that rests across the top of my pack. I get some interesting stares from people on the trail and every once in a while an “is that a tripod?” question. The camera, 2 lenses, and Think Tank bag adds about 4 pounds so that's 7 pounds of camera equipment. I also carry a GSI thermos for coffee in the morning, though I like to think its 12 ounces of weight is slightly balanced out by carrying less fuel. And before my wife’s Sierra backpacking days ended due to her hip/leg issues, we carried Wild Turkey bourbon in a quart Nalgene bottle.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

3-pound/ 5-degree sleeping bag and three insulating clothing layers, regardless of weather. I have trouble staying warm. A real camera, nothing fancy but a few steps up from point-and-shoot. Not a weight problem, but I carry excessive matches and Chapstick.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

dave54 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:09 pm A small flask of good scotch.

Watching the sunset at the end of the day, a couple fingers of single malt in your cup...
Some consider this among the 10 'sentials.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:56 pm 3-pound/ 5-degree sleeping bag and three insulating clothing layers, regardless of weather. I have trouble staying warm... ..excessive matches and Chapstick.
I'd posit the sleeping bag is not an indulgence if you sleep cold. And the rest of there gear seems borne more out of wisdom, than frivolous indulgence. Mid summer can see warm nights, even at high altitude, but it takes only one July or August trip with inches of hail and freezing temps to discourage any future banking against the odds.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am TOTALLY envious of those who can get by with a 1-pound down quilt. The older I get, the colder I get. If I had a rich uncle, I would buy a new 10-degree bag- mine is 25 years old when 750 down was the "best" on the market.