Postpile Road / Parking at Agnew Meadows ?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postpile Road / Parking at Agnew Meadows ?

Post by aaron_in_sf »

Apologies as I know this has been much discussed, and I have been searching about, but haven't found confirmation one way or another...

...is it possible currently to drive in from Mammoth town to Agnew Meadows, and park there while on-trail?

I grabbed a Shadow Creek permit and see that the Reds Road is closing on Sept 18 (Monday soon), but AFAICT the Postpile Road section will be open.

I've never parked at Agnew Meadows always coming in on-trail but I'm hoping I can get in and out of there leaving our own car, coming out on the 18th...

Sorry for the ignorance : :derp:
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Postpile Road / Parking at Agnew Meadows ?

Post by FrankPS »

Starting Monday, Sept 11, you can drive your own car in. Today, you must still use the shuttle if you come in between 7 AM and 7 PM.

Check out this website:

https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

"Reds Meadow Road to Devils Postpile National Monument is open 7 days a week through September 17, 2023. The last day for shuttle service is September 10. The road will be open to all vehicles starting September 11 (parking may be limited).

Starting September 18, Reds Meadow Road will be under construction and closed to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic Monday through Friday. The National Park Service will continue to offer regular services to the public on weekends from September 23 until October 15, excepting any weather-related road closures or additional construction closures."
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted

Post by aaron_in_sf »

The part I'm not grokking is really, when they talk about the Reds road being closed, is that including the leg that goes to Agnew TH?

On Google maps at least it has a different name, so I was I sure whether the road closing except for weekends means from the turn off that's labeled as Reds... or the whole shuttle route...

Good this weekend though either way!
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ironmike »

If you follow the NPS link, it states that the closure will start from the Minaret entrance station, so it will not be possible to reach the Agnew Meadows spur road Monday thru Friday starting 9/18.
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted

Post by aaron_in_sf »

Ah ha. Thanks!