TR: A Wild, First Ever in Sequoia-N.A.P. to Cleaver Col, 8/29- 9/4/23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: A Wild, First Ever in Sequoia-N.A.P. to Cleaver Col, 8/29- 9/4/23

Post by cgundersen »

Hola Ian,
Even with that brief bio, that's a rugged introduction to the Sierra for Eric. Rugged for just about anyone! The only way to have taken this beyond the extreme would have been a shot of Eric surfing on an iceberg at Tulainyo. What an amazing jaunt! Cameron
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

You got cleaver col pretty much nailed with your lines!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Are you a fisherman now? All of the nice brookies you caught in Humpheyes Basin a few weeks ago and now the goldens.You should write a book, I would purchase it. Your TR's remind me of WD and GB. Thank you for sharing.

Texan
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Hard to believe that a long-time friend of yours had never seen the High Sierra, but you gave him a great introduction. Great report, thanks
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

wsp_scott wrote:
Hard to believe that a long-time friend of yours had never seen the High Sierra, but you gave him a great introduction.
If there is such a thing as a "workaholic," it's Eric. I think (hope) that he truly loves his work, cause he is always at it. We both grew up in Laguna Beach, and he has stayed, while I traveled all about, and landed 8 hours to the north. So when we get together, it's usually building projects. That is, Eric comes to my place and saves me from myself.

Thanks for the kind comments. We are off this morning for a week in the Emigrant.

* Matt, I hope you are mired in "windknots," I am going to catch one of your Big Fish!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Another entertaining report with terrific images. We were out at the same time, though you started a couple of days earlier than I did. I got rain on Sep 1 and 2 and 3 further north--it sounds like your storms were a little more concentrated but wilder. By the way, my trip was inspired by one of your previous trips when you traveled the Yellowhammer outlet.

I've got a very similar photo traipsing along Soldier Lake. By the way, does anyone know where the name comes from? I can't find it on any of the usual topos.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Harlen wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:54 amMatt, I hope you are mired in "windknots," I am going to catch one of your Big Fish!
I chose this username partly tongue-in-cheek, as windknots are the bane of fly fishermen's existence. And as someone with uninspiring fly casting skills, I'm no stranger to them myself. With that said, sometimes all it takes to get into the big(ger) fish is perseverance and enough time spent trying! You're getting out into all the right places, so I have no doubt that you'll be running into them soon enough (if you haven't already, and simply refrain from sharing photos so as not to make the rest of us even more envious).
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Wow, your reflected sunrise picture in Miter Basin is superb. Still soaking in how good it is.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

What an outstanding off trail route in the highest part of the Sierra! That is High Sierra off trail backpacking at its very best. Its also nice to pick up some extra nourishment from those delicious red-meated goldens to help fuel your climbs over those passes.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I havnt been everywhere but miter basin->crabtree basin is one of the most splendid sequences I have experienced in the sierra, and its very accessible