Any recent reports from Finger Col or Gunsight Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cburton103
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Any recent reports from Finger Col or Gunsight Pass?

Post by cburton103 »

Heading up late this week to begin a trip from Florence Lake over mosquito pass, HFS, Reinstein, Finger Col, Gunsight, Lucifer, and then back out via Moquito Pass. Not planning to ford the S Fork of the San Joaquin, rather crossing the bridge close to Lake Florence and staying low along the southern shore of the river and beginning the ascent to Mosquito pass from near the hot springs across from MTR.

My understanding is that the two main places that snow is likely to still be present along our route is the west side of Finger Col above Cathedral Lake and also on top of Gunsight Pass. I’ve looked for recent trip reports from the last month or so, but I’ve come up empty. Has anyone been over either of those passes recently?

Trying to decide if microspikes will be necessary or not. Also, any easy way around snow on top of Gunsight Pass if it’s present? We can also always route back to Blackcap Pass as well if needed, although we’ll miss some lakes we would like to see if we need to go that way. Thanks in advance!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Any recent reports from Finger Col or Gunsight Pass?

Post by cgundersen »

If you go to the recent TR by CameronM and go to his link to the full story, about a third of the way through there is a photo of Cathedral Lake with a perfect view of Finger col. Yes, there is snow right up to the pass, but I can confirm from first hand experience that it's possible to get over that ridge in other spots, so I think you'll be good there! cgundersen
Last edited by cgundersen on Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

cgundersen wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:03 pm If you go to the recent TR by CameronM and go to his link to the full story, about a third of the way through there is a photo of Cathedral Lake with a perfect view Finger col. Yes, there is snow right up to the pass, but I can confirm from first hand experience that it's possible to get over that ridge in other spots, so I think you'll be good there! cgundersen
I saw that picture from Cathedral Lake. Looks like it was taken august 4th or 5th roughly. So we’ll have about five weeks of additional melting, which is nice.

I actually read your trip report earlier today. I’d rather not repeat your route or the weather you had on the way down! :) Knowing me, I’d be your buddy about an hour behind you in the lightning and rain!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

cburton,
Sounds like you have the situation pretty well scoped out, and if the weather cooperates, it should be a striking loop. If you're lucky, CameronM's mention of "mosquito pressure" may also have abated. I've had the decent fortune of not having to swat skeeters whilst using Mosquito pass, but it's been a weird year in that respect, so who knows? Happy trails! Cameron
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

cgundersen wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:42 pm cburton,
Sounds like you have the situation pretty well scoped out, and if the weather cooperates, it should be a striking loop. If you're lucky, CameronM's mention of "mosquito pressure" may also have abated. I've had the decent fortune of not having to swat skeeters whilst using Mosquito pass, but it's been a weird year in that respect, so who knows? Happy trails! Cameron
I feel pretty confident I’ve found and read the vast majority of the available information on aspects of this route. Looking for any last minute beta is part of the way I keep my mind occupied until it’s trip time! I’m sure I have some company in that… behavior… on an outdoors website :paranoid:

I saw a photo a few years ago of upper Goddard creek and 10,232, which cemented the idea of this trip. The bridge going out has made the trip more challenging to complete in five days, and will eat into some fishing time. But with good conditions, I’m confident we’ll have a great trip and still get on a few species of trout while we’re up there.

I’ll bring my microspikes along, because I’d rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Unless someone tells me Gunsight Pass and Finger Col are snow free or the snow can be worked around without any real issues.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

A couple weeks ago "wrongway" was soliciting advice about getting to Lake 10232, so if he got back to his computer, he might be able to update your projections. Also, I'm all in favor of having gear that I don't need rather than wishing I had it. Cameron
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Quite a bit of snow on Gunsight on Aug 23: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=66 ... 1450736280
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

thegib wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:24 pm Quite a bit of snow on Gunsight on Aug 23: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=66 ... 1450736280
Excellent! Just a couple weeks ago. That’s quite a bit of snow. Definitely bringing the spikes. Thanks for passing that picture along!
Wrongway
Topix Novice

Post by Wrongway »

Hello! Wrongway (George) is back home now and sitting at his computer. I went over Finger Col on August 25th without incident — my first ever time traveling on snow. And there was plenty of snow: a snowfield on the west side and a succession of snowfields on the east side. The Col itself was clear and only required one semi-Class 3 move to access the (obvious) ledge that leads down from the top on the east side.

Part of my original itinerary was to go over Confusion Pass (which I went over in a drier year), but I thought the better of it since there seemed to be a snow cornice at the top. Next door was Gunsight Pass, and it had a sizable snow cornice. I think I would avoid that one, myself.

I will post pictures once I figure out how to use that function!
Wrongway
Topix Novice

Post by Wrongway »

I hope a picture of Finger Col taken from Cathedral Lake appears here . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.