Sierra summits day hike

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Piobaireachd
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Sierra summits day hike

Post by Piobaireachd »

I am looking for hikes to Sierra summits (from Bridgeport to Lone Pine) that could be done in a day, with my limits for a day being about 15 miles round trip and 5000ft elevation gain. Bonus for summits involving some scrambling up to 5th class.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Sierra summits day hike

Post by c9h13no3 »

Bear Creek Spire, Abbott, Mt Conness, Mt Laurel, Russell's East Arete come to mind.

What's your experience in other ranges?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Piobaireachd
Topix Newbie

Post by Piobaireachd »

I am coming from Italy, although I now live in California, so my experience is mostly in the Alps. That is a much more anthropized environment, with more developed road networks, cable cars, mountain huts instead of camping, that make access much easier and shorter than the Sierra or other American ranges. Another notable difference is that there are marked and beaten trails, not much bushwhacking unless off route.

I have been already on Mt Conness and North Peak. Is Russel's East Arete doable in one day (15mi round trip and 5000ft elevation gain are my limits)?
Given the high snow winter, are crampons and ice axe needed for Mt Abbott?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Piobaireachd wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:48 am I have been already on Mt Conness and North Peak. Is Russel's East Arete doable in one day (15mi round trip and 5000ft elevation gain are my limits)?
Given the high snow winter, are crampons and ice axe needed for Mt Abbott?
Mt Russell is less than 15 miles (call it 11ish), but 6000' of gain. Most of that mileage is on a decent "use trail", so it goes quick. However you climb Russell or Whitney (or other peaks in the Whitney zone) you'll need a permit. It is much easier to get a day use permit, so most folks go that route.

Crampons & axe will be needed for Abbott, possibly on the descent from Cox col on Bear Creek Spire this year as well.

A word of warning: scrambling grades in the Sierra tend to be a bit more difficult than other ranges. Class 4 especially so. A class 4 backcountry Sierra route tends to mean that the person giving the rating thought the climbing was difficult (with moves up to modern YDS 5.7), but short enough in duration that bringing a rope isn't worth it. The North Ridge of Conness is possibly a good example of a climb people would just call class 4 in the 1940's, if you have already climbed that route.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Up the Bishop Creek watershed: Coudripper, Mt Agassiz and Mt Goode. All three are close to 5K+ elevation gain, and well within a 15 mile round trip. Mt Goods is the easiest of the three; a solid Class 3 scramble, with a bit of Class 4 at the top. Cloudripper is the most challenging, but good route finding will avoid Class 5. Agasszi is a tiny bit over 5K elevation gain. Cloudripper and Agassiz have epic views!

Mt Dana, east of the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite NP is Class 2 & 3. There are actually a number of summits easy to access from Tuolumne Meadows.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Gogd wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:15 pm Up the Bishop Creek watershed: Coudripper, Mt Agassiz and Mt Goode. All three are close to 5K+ elevation gain, and well within a 15 mile round trip. Mt Goods is the easiest of the three; a solid Class 3 scramble, with a bit of Class 4 at the top. Cloudripper is the most challenging, but good route finding will avoid Class 5. Agasszi is a tiny bit over 5K elevation gain. Cloudripper and Agassiz have epic views!

Mt Dana, east of the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite NP is Class 2 & 3. There are actually a number of summits easy to access from Tuolumne Meadows.

Ed
For clarification, South Lake TH is 9800ft and Mt Agassi is 13,983ft, climbed it a long time ago. the elevation gain is bit over 4K not 5K.

Texan
Piobaireachd
Topix Newbie

Post by Piobaireachd »

I hiked to Mt Agassiz last year actually. What about Dragon Peak or Independence Peak? Are there decent trails avoiding scree or sandy slopes?

Thanks
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

texan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:50 pm For clarification, South Lake TH is 9800ft and Mt Agassi is 13,983ft, climbed it a long time ago. the elevation gain is bit over 4K not 5K.

Texan
Ergo why I flunked math!
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

C9 wrote:
Mt Russell is less than 15 miles (call it 11ish), but 6000' of gain. Most of that mileage is on a decent "use trail", so it goes quick
While I love that East Ridge route (2x), the trail up Lonepine Creek really took a hit this winter, and there is some bushwhacking to it now.

P., you mention Dragon Peak, and I think that would suit you very well. Perhaps also University Peak if you choose the more solid northern wall of it. Are you coming from the LA or Bay area side? There are burly climbs above Twin Lakes along the Sawtooth Divide, and c9h13no3 can tell you about the great scramble up Whorl Mountain, which I too would love to do. Virginia Peak, and Twin Peaks are also long, challenging routes north of Bridgeport.

The Yosemite NP has many challenging climbs that can be pulled off in shortish days. E.g., Cathedral Peak, Eichorn Pinnacle (5.5 or so); The Unicorn- exposed Class 4 for just a bit; and the many short and sweet Echo Peaks-- again, C9 may be your man to describe them, too many years ago for me.

Beast of Luck to you! Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.