Italy pass/Lake Italy area info

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Coleman83
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Italy pass/Lake Italy area info

Post by Coleman83 »

Starting a solo trip on 9/5. Doing a lollipop from Italy pass down to the pct and back up through piute canyon/french canyon. I am curious about the current/recent conditions around Italy pass and also any good camping recommendations near or around the lake Italy area to the pct. Thank you all!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Italy pass/Lake Italy area info

Post by cgundersen »

Coleman,
There have been queries about conditions along this route earlier this season, but I do not recall anyone posting updates on the condition of Italy pass or around Lake Italy. From the pass down to the lake, the options for camping are semi-sketchy, but Italy is huge and if need be, there are plenty of spots to camp. Still, for my money, I'd continue a bit off-trail to the canyon holding Teddy Bear and Brown Bear lakes. Great campsites there, and if you fish, decent fishing. I went through that area last August and here's the link to the trip report:
https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=22611
Cameron
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Italy pass/Lake Italy area info

Post by Enigmagic »

we went up the Lake Italy trail from the PCT to about 10,000' in July... we weren't heading up to Lake Italy, so no comments above there, but the trail below 9800' has been cleared of blowdowns by a trail crew that came through while we were there.

decent campsites around Hilgard Meadow and on the knob at 9600' just north of the trail.