New to HST, your advice on this pathing/trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LordXar
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

New to HST, your advice on this pathing/trail?

Post by LordXar »

Hello,

I plan on doing a hike with friends who are much more experienced with me. Previously, we've done Taboose Pass/Baxter Pass, but this year I am not in that kind of shape and since I do not know anything about HST, I want to know what is ahead of me. I am hoping for a relaxed backpacking hike without too much arduous stress, if possible.

On CalTopo, I see a trail that runs around that peak area (from little 5 Lakes), running along the base of the treeline into Big 5 Lakes. Correct?

Anyways, anything I should know about the pathing shown below. Anything difficult or treacherous? Also, how is the mosquito level at Big 5 Lakes?

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 3.26.53 PM.png
From CalTopo (below) seems like the same side trail going down into the lake area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: New to HST, your advice on this pathing/trail?

Post by cgundersen »

LordX: please update your post with more information about when you plan to go, how many nights and which trailhead you plan to take (read the general post for requesting route advice by Maverick). Cameron
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

This is an old trip report I did the last time I passed through the area--I think my loop trip covered the terrain you are referring to. You may see pictures and descriptions that will help you, although you can ignore the first 2 and last day of my loop since they were not on the HST or the lakes area you are asking about.

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=16533

The trails shown on your map are all accurate from my experience. Yes, there is a trail that leaves the HST and Big Arroyo and climbs up to the Little 5, and yes there is a trail that cuts from the Little Five over to the Big Five.

The High Sierra Trail up to Hamilton Lake, past Precipice Lake, and over Kaweah Gap and down the Big Arroyo is absolutely magnificent. It is one of the few trails that was laid out and engineered specifically for its scenic beauty. There are many places along the trail with a lot of exposure, but the trail is wide and solid and quite civilized. Once you come down the Big Arroyo you can explore the Little Five and/or the Big Five. I personally loved going a mile off trail to camp at lake 10410 in the northern "Little Five." You could also head over Black Rock Pass and complete a loop in that direction, although that was not my route in 2017.

You mentioned that you are planning this trip for this year? My guess is that the usual dangers of this route have all receded by now--there is an iceflow on the HST above lake Hamilton that hangs in a shadowy deep crevice in the cliffs, and a few stream crossings can be sketchy in the early season. But this late in the game they should not be a problem. Always check with the rangers first, though. My experience is that the rangers have much better intel on the trails in National Parks than elsewhere, and that was the case the last time I was there.
LordXar
Topix Novice

Post by LordXar »

cgundersen wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:15 pm LordX: please update your post with more information about when you plan to go, how many nights and which trailhead you plan to take (read the general post for requesting route advice by Maverick). Cameron
I plan on going sept 28th for a week. I "think" the trailhead is crescent meadows.
LordXar
Topix Novice

Post by LordXar »

kpeter wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:40 pm This is an old trip report I did the last time I passed through the area--I think my loop trip covered the terrain you are referring to. You may see pictures and descriptions that will help you, although you can ignore the first 2 and last day of my loop since they were not on the HST or the lakes area you are asking about.

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=16533

Thank you, appreciate. I have a fear of heights, and didn't develop till I got older. Now with us going this route, I'm getting very anxious as some of the pathings are near sheer cliffs.....
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Lord X,
First, you should check the recent post by Maverick (in the conditions pages) concerning the fire that is burning up-canyon from where you are headed. Yes, that fire may clear by the time you go, but if it does not, it could make a mess.

Second, if fear of heights is an issue, there are plenty of spots on the High Sierra trail that may make you nervous well before you get to the section you noted (which formally is not part of that trail). If you want to minimize smoke and height issues, I'd recommend the trail out of Lodgepole that takes you over Silliman Pass and you can either come back the same route or loop around via PO Pass. Cameron
LordXar
Topix Novice

Post by LordXar »

cgundersen wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:16 pm Lord X,
First, you should check the recent post by Maverick (in the conditions pages) concerning the fire that is burning up-canyon from where you are headed. Yes, that fire may clear by the time you go, but if it does not, it could make a mess.

Second, if fear of heights is an issue, there are plenty of spots on the High Sierra trail that may make you nervous well before you get to the section you noted (which formally is not part of that trail). If you want to minimize smoke and height issues, I'd recommend the trail out of Lodgepole that takes you over Silliman Pass and you can either come back the same route or loop around via PO Pass. Cameron
Hey Cameron, thanks for that info. Is there a map on alltrails or caltopo that show this. I see "Silliman Pass", but can't see how that gets me to big 5 lakes. I apologize for such newbness. What is PO pass?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

LordX,
If your goal is to get to Big 5 Lakes, then your best options are to go from Crescent Meadow (or Wolverton) or drive into Mineral King and access that area either via Franklin Pass or Timber Gap (I'd advise against going up sawtooth pass, it's a grind). I proposed Lodgepole to Silliman as an alternative to get you further from the smoke and to minimize vertigo issues. PO (short for Poop out) pass is part of a big loop one can do from Lodgepole that includes Silliman and JO passes. Cameron
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

During that time frame you will want to prepare for temps down into the 20s, and be prepared for the first of the snow storms - especially in an El Nino year like this one. There's also a fire burning below Bearpaw Meadow; the Redwood Fire. It's being managed by a crew on the ground, and they're letting it burn as much as is safe, so I'd expect smoke impacts if I were you. It's been smoky looking into the Kaweah from Visalia the past week.
LordXar
Topix Novice

Post by LordXar »

cgundersen wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:04 am LordX,
If your goal is to get to Big 5 Lakes, then your best options are to go from Crescent Meadow (or Wolverton) or drive into Mineral King and access that area either via Franklin Pass or Timber Gap (I'd advise against going up sawtooth pass, it's a grind). I proposed Lodgepole to Silliman as an alternative to get you further from the smoke and to minimize vertigo issues. PO (short for Poop out) pass is part of a big loop one can do from Lodgepole that includes Silliman and JO passes. Cameron
Yeah, after more digging I figured the Timber Gap Trail would be best as Sawtooth Pass is gnarly, I heard. So I would take it up and around to Big 5 lakes. As far as you know, are their any sheer cliffs along that path? I'm good with heights as long as I can't "fall" off the path,. lol. So, the top half of that loop (see link below) looks like what you mean, so I'd guess about a 14mile hike, a day?

I am looking here: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail ... static-map

Is this what you mean?