Which Trailhead for Letora Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Which Trailhead for Letora Lake?

Post by kpeter »

I am going to do 5-6 day trip over Labor Day and would like to get to Letora Lake, which I missed on my big circuit last year from Kennedy Meadows. I could come down from Kennedy Meadows again, or come in all the way from Crabtree (or even Gianelli). I also have been thinking about coming in from Shingle Springs via Styx Pass, and Huckleberry Lake. I suppose Leavitt Meadows is even a possibility. This area seems about equally remote from all trailheads.

1) Will crossing Cherry Creek be an issue now? If so, it rules out Shingle Springs. But I have always wanted to explore upstream from Lord Meadows and never have, so that might be a fun way in if it is safe.

2) For the other routes, I am torn between Kennedy Meadows vs. Crabtree, having been over the bulk of both trails before. It's a long ways in either way. Any reason I should prefer one vs the other?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Which Trailhead for Letora Lake?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Eagle Meadow for something completely different?

Personally, the drive to Crabtree is 30 minutes shorter round trip, so it'd be an easy choice to me if there wasn't new terrain I wanted to see. Put a little less carbon in the air, and have more time for ice cream after you get back to the car.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I vote for Crabtree as well. But you can't go wrong with any of them. The string of lakes out of Crabtree is really nice...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Crabtree for sure and bring your fishing pole!

Texan
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Water levels in Emigrant late August

Post by kpeter »

The trip I am considering is inspired by these two trip reports:

WD:
https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=22645

Harlan:
https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=21100

I particularly am intrigued by Harlan's loop using the ramp up the Yellowhammer outlet from from Lords Meadow.

At this point my questions concern water. I've never backpacked in Emigrant any later than mid June. Going in late August/September will be entirely new for me.

1) What should I expect for stream crossing levels relatively late but in a very wet year? Will Cherry Creek be fordable by now?
2) Conversely, can I count on getting water out of any of the streams, or will there only be lake-to-lake watering holes?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

1. what are condidtions like now? CHeck with the rangers at the Summit Ranger Station. Most years, by now the creeks are easily crossed. But as you have noted, this is an exceptional year. Anyone who makes predictions based on previous years will be guessing.

2. Cherry Creek will have water, so will all the lakes. Piute Creek will have water. Water should not be an issue. What streams are you concerned about?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

balzaccom wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:05 am 1. what are condidtions like now? CHeck with the rangers at the Summit Ranger Station. Most years, by now the creeks are easily crossed. But as you have noted, this is an exceptional year. Anyone who makes predictions based on previous years will be guessing.

2. Cherry Creek will have water, so will all the lakes. Piute Creek will have water. Water should not be an issue. What streams are you concerned about?
If I do the loop similar to Harlan's, I will need to cross East Fork Cherry Creek back and forth a few times coming down the canyon from Huckleberry Lake to the Yellowhammer outlet stream, meaning all the way down through Lord Meadow. I guess I could do the trip in reverse and if Cherry Creek is a problem, reverse course back to Big Lake and then do something else.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Summit Ranger station has no information on the crossings between Lord Meadows and Huckleberry Lake, but they did indicate that levels elsewhere are down significantly. For whatever it is worth.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

My friends and I just completed an 8 day loop involving Cherry Canyon. We did the three crossings below Huckleberry and they were fine. We did, however, make the crossings the day before Hillary hit. We were at Lord Meadow when it rained all night and got hammered by a hellacious thunderstorm.
IMG_4180 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thank you for that, Cmon! That is great intel!