Advice: Hutchings Creek and Lyell Fork of the Merced

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Merced
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Advice: Hutchings Creek and Lyell Fork of the Merced

Post by Merced »

Does anyone have recent information about conditions for Hutchings Creek and the Lyell Fork of the Merced? Thanks.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice: Hutchings Creek and Lyell Fork of the Merced

Post by cgundersen »

Merced,

If you are planning to get to those areas from the trails to the west, it should be no problem getting to the lower lakes in both basins (which I've visited on early season trips and they were wide open). However, as you work your way further up canyon, I'm sure you'll encounter more snow/ice. And if you are thinking of linking the two basins via Sluggo pass, I'm sure it'll still have plenty of snow. Cameron
Alyssa318
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Alyssa318 »

Cgunderson (and others who have been in this beach if the woods), any guess as to what the climb over Foerster Ridge to get to Blue Lake from the Lyell Fork might be like around now? Likely to need traction devices?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Alyssa,
I'll attach a photo taken in August 2 years ago of the route I've used to get to (or from) Blue Lake pass out of the Lyell Fork. It's the saddle to the left of the snag (yes, there was abundant, diffuse smoke). Anyway, I'm guessing that ridge is low enough to be free of snow, and it's a broad enough hillside that it should not be much of an obstacle. Cameron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alyssa318
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Alyssa318 »

Perfect, thanks so much!
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

Just watched a trip report with summit views from Mt. Lyell on 1st September. Way more snow remaining than when I was there at the end of June last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7t6HYpT_1g&t=621s
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Cool video Phil! A bit of a schlep from Newcastle to the Sierra Nevada! And I whine about the drive from LA. Go figure. Cameron
dlopilato
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by dlopilato »

I crossed Hutchings in mid-August where it meets the Merced with no problem. Not sure about above the river canyon though.