Peeler/Robinson lake loop extension suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Peeler/Robinson lake loop extension suggestions

Post by Ultrajen »

Hi All

So excited to get into a new area. My permits were cancelled in Mineral King and decided on this area to take my son, 20 years old. Looks like the loop is 22 miles. We have three full days Thursday-Saturday and hoping to hike out early Sunday and I think with 22 miles we will be hiking out Saturday afternoon if we don’t extend it. Plan so far is day 1 - trailhead to Peeler day 2 - Peeler to Crown Lake with a Crown Point out and back. That leaves day three short. So looking at the Map I’m thinking we could extend Day 1 or 2 going down to Kerrick Meadows farther. But Peeler looks so nice to camp. Or Day 2 maybe extend towards Mule Pass camp out there somewhere and then Night 3 we camp at Barney Lake for a short Sunday exit? As I’m writing this I’m thinking Barney Lake Saturday night needs to be a goal so how to break up the other days to see some extra terrain. 8-15 miles depending on terrain would be best and a long second day would probably make sense. Thank you!
grampy
Topix Expert

Re: Peeler/Robinson lake loop extension suggestions

Post by grampy »

For your Day 2, are you thinking Peeler > Kerrick Meadow > Rock Island Pass > Crown Lake ? or were you going to backtrack to get to Crown ?

The hike to Mule Pass (from Crown Lake) is quite scenic, or at least I thought so when I did it.

Note that Barney Lake has a large “no camping” zone around its outlet (east) end; I have found decent (legal) sites around the extreme Southwest corner, below the trail (and above the lake.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I recall that both you and your son are very athletic and that off trail stuff is fair game, so I wonder if Little Slide Canyon might be a viable alternative as the exit route. If it was I figure day 2 could get you to Maltby Lake or such, which would leave you with a more adventurous day 3 to finish the trip.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Little Slide Canyon, Rock Island Lake seem like the obvious extensions to me. Or climb more peaks!
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

Thanks so much all. I’m an ultra runner but you strap a pack to my back and it’s a different story.
@grampy we planned on the loop peeler-Kerrick - rock island it’s just a bit short. @giantbrookie good memory! I decided to forget the crazy road into Florence after 2 long work days before this and try this new to me area. My kid was anti out and back so this seemed perfect.

Since everyone agrees does anyone have a .Gpx file for slide canyon and would we be missing out on Crown and Robinson lakes. I’m also a climber and see that the Sawtooth range home to so much is right there. If we did this where to camp day 2?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Could always drop your packs, and out & back up into Little Slide on day 1. I thought Robinson Lakes were cool, but didn’t think Crown or Snow were anything special. They’re just run of the mill pretty Sierra alpine lakes.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

Burro pass view of all the Sawtooth peaks looks amazing. Maybe skip Crown Point and figure this out.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

Researching on maps and blogs. Man now I’m really confused. Mule-burro-slide looks hard and slow. Something I would maybe prefer to do without packs? But maybe if we can get to ice lake at the end of day 2 it’s possible?

Do you think going Peeler-kerrick-rock island pass is worth it or better to go Peeler and cut through to Rock island so we have time to go out slide canyon? OR drop packs and go down slide canyon from north and do an out and back day 3? Too many choices.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

You’ve got all the pieces (and you could add some more if you really wanted to be more confused). The fun part of trip planning is how to piece them together that works for you.

I will say I’d rather go up the steeper Little Slide trail. It is a rugged climbers trail, with no real planning or grading.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:48 pm Could always drop your packs, and out & back up into Little Slide on day 1. I thought Robinson Lakes were cool, but didn’t think Crown or Snow were anything special. They’re just run of the mill pretty Sierra alpine lakes.

From the north?
How many miles south shoukd we go ?