Tahoe area in early Nov - what to do?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Lisina10
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tahoe area in early Nov - what to do?

Post by Lisina10 »

I know we're all still deep into what we're doing this summer, but I may have an opportunity to get some paid travel to the Tahoe area in very early Nov. I'm trying to decide if I should add some personal time onto the trip to take advantage, but living up in Oregon I'm not sure what conditions tend to be like down there that time of year. I know it's impossible to predict the future, but do we think trails might still be snow-free for day hiking and trail running around that time?

Thanks!
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Re: Tahoe area in early Nov - what to do?

Post by SNOOOOW »

Early Nov can be a great time it just depends on when Old Man Winter shows up. The days are a lot shorter but the bugs are non existent and the crowds have all gone.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

We've done a lot of day hikes in the Tahoe area in early November, sometimes even after a light snowfall (2 or 3 inches). Temperatures are cool, but not too cold. It all depends on when the winter storms start.
-Phil
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

As both previous folks said, totally weather dependent. This past year, I went skiing on Veteran's Day in full on winter powder conditions. Some years, I'm still in short sleeves during the day. There will be comfortable temperatures within an hour's drive, but you'll wanna plan to be flexible.

I'd research some options at different elevations. If it's warm, things around the lake at ~7000' can still be good. If it's snowing, dropping down to Nevada City/Auburn/Reno/Placerville will be much more pleasant (unless you brought your skis).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.