Advice re: Lamarck to South Lake direction

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mkhaley
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Advice re: Lamarck to South Lake direction

Post by mkhaley »

I’m hoping for some route advice in regard to a 6 or 7 night-trip between Lamarck Lake and South Lake in early September. In brief, is there a preferable direction for doing this trip: Lamarck -> South Lake, or vice versa?

From what I’ve read (and I’ve been trying to read as much as possible), the route-finding going over Lamarck Col is easier from east to west. But are there other factors and benefits in beginning at Lamarck, for example, in terms of progression of scenery and direction of views?

Since I gather that the Lamarck Col is the most difficult day, I could also imagine benefits in doing it at the end, when one is acclimatized and has a lighter pack.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Advice re: Lamarck to South Lake direction

Post by c9h13no3 »

mkhaley wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:41 am I’m hoping for some route advice in regard to a 6 or 7 night-trip between Lamarck Lake and South Lake in early September. In brief, is there a preferable direction for doing this trip: Lamarck -> South Lake, or vice versa?

From what I’ve read (and I’ve been trying to read as much as possible), the route-finding going over Lamarck Col is easier from east to west. But are there other factors and benefits in beginning at Lamarck, for example, in terms of progression of scenery and direction of views?

Since I gather that the Lamarck Col is the most difficult day, I could also imagine benefits in doing it at the end, when one is acclimatized and has a lighter pack.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Lamarck is certainly easier E-->W, and the views are better too (unless you really like looking down into Owens Valley). The east side will have a path pounded into the snow making the route obvious, while coming from the west, there are many braids of use trails and finding the right notch with the sign isn't a slam dunk.

Overall though, Lamarck Col is a pretty gentle crossing of the Sierra crest. While it is better to put the most difficult portion of your trip first, if you have some snow experience, I wouldn't hesitate to exit over Lamarck if it fit your goals.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
mkhaley
Topix Novice

Post by mkhaley »

Thanks very much for the help!
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:19 am Lamarck is certainly easier E-->W, and the views are better too (unless you really like looking down into Owens Valley). The east side will have a path pounded into the snow making the route obvious, while coming from the west, there are many braids of use trails and finding the right notch with the sign isn't a slam dunk.

Overall though, Lamarck Col is a pretty gentle crossing of the Sierra crest. While it is better to put the most difficult portion of your trip first, if you have some snow experience, I wouldn't hesitate to exit over Lamarck if it fit your goals.
FWIW: I once did a sighting from Lamarck Pass to the east end of Lake Four in Evolution Valley for the return trip. I think it worked out to a magnetic 40⁰ vector to the pass when sighted from that spot on the lake. It was good for that return trip, though maybe I was lucky.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
mkhaley
Topix Novice

Post by mkhaley »

Thanks, Ed, that's helpful!
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

I don't think you can go wrong picking either direction. IMO there are two things to consider.

1) How difficult do you want the first day to be? Bishop pass = 5.6mi, 2350 ft, Lamarck col = 5 miles, 3600 ft. Lamarck col is definitely a more difficult day 1, especially if you want to get over the pass. After you get to the col there is about 1.5 miles of tedious hiking to get down to the first viable camp sites around Darwin Lake #3. I've never been over Bishop, but it seems like the last bit to viable camp sites in Dusy Basin is easier.

2) Finding Lamarck col if you've never been is easier going E to W. If coming W to E, it is the low point furthest north in the bowl at the end of Darwin Canyon. Some people mistake it for the low point between Darwin Canyon and Schober Holes, but you'll quickly realize you're in the wrong spot.

As for views, just turn around every once in a while and it won't matter which direction you're hiking. :)

If it were me, I'd choose the easier Day 1 because I hate feeling like sh*t for part of my trip.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I've hiked up and down both Bishop Pass and Lamarck Col a few times each now, and I'd go South Lake to Lamarck if it were me. Another factor to consider is the descent into Le Conte Canyon from Dusy Basin (do you and your party prefer to hike down or up a steep trail?). Also, I've seen varying mileage estimates for Lamarck Col/Darwin Canyon from North Lake, but it's always felt much harder/longer than Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin to me.
mkhaley
Topix Novice

Post by mkhaley »

Thank you both for these additional considerations, they're quite helpful. I generally prefer going up a steep trail, but altitude changes that calculation a bit. I'm especially wary of going down a slope with snow. I do a fair amount of winter hiking in New Hampshire, but would rather not bring traction on this trip, if possible.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

The hardest part of coming over Lamarck Col for me is going around the Darwin Lakes. It's mostly easy, but there are some boulder patches that are annoying, especially when you're worn out after going over the pass. So save a little mental gas for the final push, if you go past three or four lakes. Between lakes three and four is the most annoying, but I found if you go up away from the lakes the boulders are smaller and easier to cross. At the level of the lakes they are gigantic.
Other than that, it's an easy pass, the only difficult part is hiking for a long time above 12,000 feet.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

There is no wrong direction. @RiseToADry is correct, turn around every once in awhile.

Which makes for the easier day 1 is a depends. S Lake over Bishop Pass into Dusy Basin is a solid day 1. Getting over Lamarck and into Darwin Basin is more challenging, BUT no on one says you must go that far; you can easily break the hike over Lamarck into 2 days. There is camping at the Lower lake, on the rise above and south of the upper lake outlet, and camping at the tarn fed by the snowfield below the pass.

Whichever direction you choose plan to camp in Dusy Basin and Evolution Basin. And should your ambition carry you, consider deviating from the beaten path for a night at McGee Lakes or bigger ambition route through Ionian Basin. Or opt for shorter hiking days and take your afternoons fishing.