The end of Garmin In-Reach etc.?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

The end of Garmin In-Reach etc.?

Post by michaelzim »

I read about this a while ago so thought I would see what the latest is c/o Space-Ex website...Here is the gist of it below = Text access from anywhere, with specific mention of National Parks as examples...

https://www.spacex.com/updates/

Scroll down to item #5...

AUGUST 25, 2022
SPACEX INVITES WORLD'S CARRIERS TO COLLABORATE — NO MORE CELL PHONE DEAD ZONES

This service will have a tremendous impact on the safety, peace of mind, and individual and business opportunities around the globe. The applications range from connecting hikers in national parks, rural communities, remote sensors and devices, and people and devices in emergency situations, such as firefighters.

This satellite-to-cellular service will provide nearly complete coverage anywhere a customer can see the sky—meaning you can continue texting and eventually make a cell phone call even when you leave terrestrial coverage. We’ve designed our system so that no modifications are required to the cell phone everyone has in their pocket today, and no new firmware, software updates, or apps are needed. As a complementary technology to terrestrial networks, SpaceX can enable mobile network operators to connect more people, fulfill coverage requirements, and create new business opportunities.

I guess the weather forecast function will still apply with a Garmin, etc. but an expensive forecast v. the above aspect if you can text someone and ask them to look it up for you!

P.S. I do not have a Garmin or electronic device and do not have plans to either - barring maybe a cell phone with "GPS" maps for high snow cover in spring (like we had this year). As for Musk, I have "mixed feelings" about it all.

M.
Last edited by michaelzim on Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: The end of Garmin In-Reach etc.?

Post by Lenier »

Cool tech, but I'm good without any Musk "products."