Last minute plan: maximizing 2 nights in Emigrant or Humboldt/Toiyabe?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Last minute plan: maximizing 2 nights in Emigrant or Humboldt/Toiyabe?

Post by levi »

Could use some advice/reassurance for my last minute plan, many thanks!

I'm leading a small group (me plus 3) on a 2-night, 3-day trip next weekend, everyone has some xc/backpacking experience and the desire is to visit some lakes/see some scenery, and hopefully get some time off-trail, within a 5hr drive of Oakland and Sacramento. With last minute planning, I'm looking at Humboldt/Toiyabe's 3 day walk-up permits, and Emigrant's unlimited permits (SEKI's day-before, in-person walk-up-only permits seem risky - especially, counting on unreserved permits the following morning at 10am. The policy's new to me, but it must be competitive).

I've scoped out Green Creek TH, a new trailhead for me - go to Return Lake night 1 and loop back past Summit Lake for night 2 (on trail somewhere). It doesn't involve much off-trail, but maybe that's ok, it sounds so lovely. Or could base camp somewhere near Virginia Pass and just enjoy that environment, we don't necessarily need to do a loop.

Alternatively, could return to Big Lake or Iceland Lake in Emigrant, which I've visited once each in the past, perhaps moving camp a few miles to a nearby off-trail lake on the middle day. I'm sure my gf and friends would love the scenery and rocks once at the lakes, though Crabtree especially has those sloggy miles at the beginning, and the miles around Relief Reservoir are going to be bleh, lots of effort. Perhaps Green Creek is the ticket after all. In my 30s I find myself valuing enjoyment and not just achievement with my backpacking.

Am I not seeing other options, or missing something else? Much gratitude to this community as always.
levi
Topix Acquainted

Re: Last minute plan: maximizing 2 nights in Emigrant or Humboldt/Toiyabe?

Post by levi »

D'oh just realizing I've neglected Yosemite's 7 day walkup permits. That will be my research for tomorrow I guess!
sgodgreeneyed
Topix Novice

Re: Last minute plan: maximizing 2 nights in Emigrant or Humboldt/Toiyabe?

Post by sgodgreeneyed »

Those spots are classics. Bottom line, you've got this backpacking vibe down pat